Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1996 c280 what kind of radio?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 11:38 PM
oc
Default 1996 c280 what kind of radio?

Hi,

I have a 6-disc CD changer (the changer is in the trunk) am/fm radio from the dealer when the car was bought new. 1996 c280.

The LCD on my radio is all smeard and darken--cant see a thing!. The unit still works in all other respect. I'm trying to find the make and model of the radio so I can go the the manufacturer directly and see if I can just get the little LCD display screen replacement.

I took the radio out and got this: (mercedes emblem) Model NO. CM2396. But I dont know who makes the radio for Mercedes.

Seems like a used or non-working one for relatively inexpensive is hard to come by ("relativel inexpensive" is the operative words here).

I've been searching for a while now...I think this will be my last ditch attempt before just getting a cheapo header from CircuitCity or something.

Thanks.

Old 07-10-2006, 10:59 PM
Default RE: 1996 c280 what kind of radio?

I have the same year and model, probably the same OEM head unit. I highly doubt you will be able to find just the LCD screen. If your trunk 6-disc works and your antenna works, consider purchasing another Mercedes head unit. I suspect that you are going to run into problems trying to replace the head unit if you have a Bose system in the car.

Some of the other guys may be able to tell you more specifically but I think the Bose speakers have an irregular wattage. I used to have a Nissan with a Bose system in it and it was nothing but pain. After 3 mos. of troubleshooting the head unit or speaker amps, I replaced the whole system. Only the more important repairs to the Mercedes and fear of the vehicle's overall fickleness have kept me from doing the same with this car.

Old 07-11-2006, 11:29 PM
oc

Thanks for the reply, jgustin. I think I do have BOSE speakers. I hate to shell out big bucks (and I bet really big bucks) just to get another head unit from the dealer when the only thing wrong is that I cant see what I'm tunning on the radio!

That's why I've been looking just to buy that particular radio someone might not be using theirs...for less than a new unit from the dealer...or one that's not working in some other respect so I can salvage the LCD screen.

Thanks for the input. If I'm able to do this, I'll post solutions..since I did see another post about the LCD screen problem in this forum somewhere.

Old 07-13-2006, 05:22 PM

Take a look on Ebay for an OEM head unit. You won't always know what you're getting straight out, but you might be able to get a better price from a private individual than you will get from the dealership.

I have yet to decide what to do about my head unit. The tape deck works, but the antenna signal isn't reaching the head unit so there's no radio. I took my 6-disc out and took it apart to see if I could reset it somehow. I think I'm just going to buy another. Phew...

Good luck!

Old 07-17-2006, 07:54 PM
oc

Are you talking about your mercedes stock head unit that's not getting the radio signal? Have you check the wiring connection for the antenna on the head unit as well as on the antenna end (in the trunk on the left side). I broke my telescopic antenna once, and had to replace it. What I found is that if the antenna wiring is not connected, I get static on the radio but was able to get a few AM channels. If you're at least getting static or slight AM reception, then I would check the antenna wiring. If you getting pure silence then it's probably the head unit. I dont think the 6-cd changer effects the radio at all. Are you able to hear your CD from the changer?

By the way, if you are really going to replace the system, PM me if you would like to sell your head unit.

Old 07-18-2006, 05:02 PM

I'm getting the car back from the shop tonight and I'll check the antenna end of the system then. I had a separate problem with the 6 disc that I foolishly tried to solve myself. I took the whole thing apart and I can't reconnect one little spring and camber! Basically the 6 disc needs to be "realigned." I'm gonna buy a new one soon.

The head unit seems ok, except that a button is semi-popped off and the tape deck whines. Hopefully, checking the antenna wire will lead to a fix I can live with for a while. I'm just not really looking forward to running new speaker wire all over the car. If I'm not successful, we'll talk about that head unit thing.

Old 05-10-2011, 11:05 PM

Anyone know if the Becker BE 1692 is the standard head unit for the 96 C280? It looks exactly like it but since I'm getting a replacement coming from an E320 I want to be sure.

Thanks in advance!

Old 05-14-2011, 07:57 AM

I got model CM 2396, part no: A 003 820 6086 in my 1998, C230. Manufacturer is Alpine.
If the serial number start with letters AL manufacturer is Alpine; if the serial number start with letters BE manufacturer is Becker.
My head unit is for sale with original owners manual and radio code. I am asking 140,00 and shipping is free.