Mercedes AMG Class All AMG Models.

SL 65 Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 04:59 PM
Default SL 65 Exhaust

It's a shame that I can't hearthose 12 cylindersfiring in anger. Any downside to eliminating the mufflers? I figured the turbos and cats would cut a lot of the sound and the mufflers aren't really doing much anyway... I don't want to simulate the wailing of a 430, just up the volume a bit over the stock exhaust.

Thanks,

Scott

Old 01-02-2007, 06:08 AM
Default RE: SL 65 Exhaust

There is aftermarket exhaust that will give you what you want. One thing though, you would also need to change the software of your ecu. The software that is in the ecu now is made for the exhaust you have- when changing the hardware you need to change the software also in order to keep or increase the performance of your car.

Old 01-04-2007, 03:08 PM

Thanks for the input. My question was really whether there is sufficient sound suppression with the exhaust routed through the turbos and cats to preclude the need for mufflers. Why spend $5k on mufflers when $50 of pipe and welding will suffice... I'll see what I can get the Merc mechanicsto do...

Old 01-19-2007, 10:20 PM

My co-worker has a C43 and we took the mufflers off it. And you right about the cats, they do keep it quite a lot!! It has a great mellow tone at idle.....but its when you get on it that people know it has a V8 in it... Everyone looks around and trys to find a muscle car... Do It!!! Leave your mufflers on but cut the pipe before it and put a turn down pipe....so it still looks like the exhaust is factory!

Old 01-24-2007, 01:47 PM

Simple resonator removal will improve exhaust sound. You have no idea how much power you can unleash from 65 engine with ECU tuning.

Old 01-24-2007, 08:09 PM

Your sl65 is fantastic. If you want to do anything with it, go for a well done work. Change the exhaust and get new hardcore software for the ecu. These cars has a wonderfull sound when you do something, but do not make it half way..... With a software upgrade alone, you could get a car withabout 700ps and 840ft/lbf that would hit 350km/h.

Old 03-27-2007, 06:52 PM

ORIGINAL: smacLeod

It's a shame that I can't hearthose 12 cylindersfiring in anger. Any downside to eliminating the mufflers? I figured the turbos and cats would cut a lot of the sound and the mufflers aren't really doing much anyway... I don't want to simulate the wailing of a 430, just up the volume a bit over the stock exhaust.

Thanks,

Scott
simple - remove the resonator!Btw, your OEM exhaust are already a free flow design like on my W210 & W211 AMG.

Old 03-27-2007, 06:57 PM

ORIGINAL: freespeed

Your sl65 is fantastic. If you want to do anything with it, go for a well done work. Change the exhaust and get new hardcore software for the ecu. These cars has a wonderfull sound when you do something, but do not make it half way..... With a software upgrade alone, you could get a car withabout 700ps and 840ft/lbf that would hit 350km/h.
IMHO, I don't think changing the stock exhaust will give you more power or performance since it's already a free flow muffler to begin with. SL65 car has already too much torque to begin with and I think that's the reason why he got the 65 instead of 55 just my 02. cents.

Old 03-28-2007, 01:01 AM

hey Scott do you want to hear & feelthe full songof your bi-turbo? find a very good welder and ask him to look in the catalog of Summit racing or Jegs and find you an electric cut out on Y pipe. If he can install this properly you can have an open/close exhaust anytime you want without getting out of the car, your turbos will like it as it will eliminate back pressure. You will get addicted to the sound and it's time to personalize your license plate to read "F16NWLS"

Old 03-28-2007, 01:58 AM

ORIGINAL: 2swoosh
hey Scott do you want to hear & feelthe full songof your bi-turbo? find a very good welder and ask him to look in the catalog of Summit racing or Jegs and find you an electric cut out on Y pipe. If he can install this properly you can have an open/close exhaust anytime you want without getting out of the car, your turbos will like it as it will eliminate back pressure. You will get addicted to the sound and it's time to personalize your license plate to read "F16NWLS"

Pls do NOT do them they are very bad. Your car is not a mustang. yes the car may sound loud as crap with them open but you actuallY LOSE HP with them closed b/c they cause tremendous turbulence in the exhaust system, honestly its more of a gimic than anything, with them close u lose HP, and with them open u lose alot of torque. so either way its not worth it. its basically a modern version of an old dragracing trick (they used to be manually operated via a cord).

Quick Reply: SL 65 Exhaust