Interior What have you done to the inside of your ride? Talk about it here.

Stock sub woofers

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator
Default Stock sub woofers

Does anyone know if I can hook an after market amp speaker leads to the existing subs in my 2001 SLK 320?

As you know, a large woofer install is really impractical. I have an Alpine Head unit, MB Quart Q series separates and a ADS four channel amp ready to go and would like to use the amp's rear channels to hook up the stock subs. If this will work, how much power can they take? and what is the impedance? (suppose I could get out an ohm meter and check active resistance). The amp will work from 2-8 ohms at 50-watts per channel.

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-09-2006, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Stock sub woofers

Well it that 50 watts per channel peak or RMS?

I dont know anything about the stock subs in a SLK. But Boston Aqustic make a 10in sub that will fit in a very small area and is louder and clearer than the average two 12s. Its been a couple years since i worked with stereos alot but also dont forget that the wattage changes as the ohms change.

Old 02-09-2006, 07:37 PM

If it's not a Bose you should be able to hook it up.

Old 02-09-2006, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator

I figured if he had Bose he would have mentioned it. But they amp may be too power ful for the subs.

Old 02-09-2006, 08:03 PM

100 watts isn't too much for a small subwoofer, if it's not a Bose.

I don't think I would hook up the amp that way, though.

Old 02-09-2006, 08:20 PM
Super Moderator

Personally i would never amp stock speakers or run vocals through subs.

Drew u might want to get filters to filter out the highs unless u can control it through the amp u have or your Headunit. I use to have subs and aftermarket speakers and that stuff decided it was a waste of money since i hate loud music. Subs were just to show off in high school after i left the parking lot i always put it on volume level one lol. I had 3 12" Infinity Perfects in a custom box tuned to 33Hz got them from a friend for like 1/3 of what he paid lol.
Now i am just happy with stocks and a CD player until the stock speakers blow then i go out and buy the best that curcuit city or best buy has in stock and i am good to go.

Old 02-09-2006, 08:39 PM

He needs a crossover (fancy filter) if he uses the full-range channels. He won't be able to control it other than to set some switches on the crossover and not have access to them while listening.

I'd get a head unit with a subwoofer out connection and get a separate amp for the subs. That way, he'd have total control of the subs, or "bass management" in soundspeak.

Are we talking about real subwoofers, or just large full-range speakers?

Old 02-09-2006, 08:59 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah the only aftermarket HU i have ever bought have three sets of pre-outs front,rear and sub but since he said that he already has a HU i didn't bring it up. For what he is trying to do a cross-over would be over kill. thats more if he wants to run tweeters and midbass off of just two channels.

I dont think we should confuse him anymore lol.

Old 02-09-2006, 10:10 PM
Super Moderator

Ok guys, Using the Alpine head unit as a preamp, I will only be sending a sub signal (100hz and lower, 18db /oct active crossover) to the rear channels for the subs. I have nice door speakers ( the Q series MB Quarts are separate woofers and one inch tweeters and retail at $1400 per set with hand made crossovers) and the ADS amp IS a top drawer product rated at 50 watts rms at 8 ohms per channel.

My question is can I use the stock subwoofer speakers, I am worried about impedence mismatch and funny wiring issues.

Old 02-09-2006, 10:15 PM

If they aren't Bose, yes.

Quick Reply: Stock sub woofers