General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Wrong Gas

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 06:01 PM
Default RE: Wrong Gas

Definately illegal to pump your own gas here.
Illegal? Really? Are Oregonians dumb, or does the state do other things for you like wipe your butt when you take a crap?

Old 08-26-2005, 07:20 PM

ORIGINAL: SL600_Cruzin
Not only is your gas cheaper there, but they even pump it for you.... damn .... some people have ALL the luck. LOL
You vehicle registrations are pretty cheap too aren't they ??

No sale tax, but they will get you on property taxes.
Try to buy $1 mil property there and see how far your checkbook will go.
Grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. I know people, that made job-related move from California to Texas. With cheap housing there they bought one right away, just to find out, that in Texas backyard enjoyment with 120 F is out of the question. In the winter they have to shovel it.
On occasional visits back to California, they still can't figure out, how-come Texan beef in California is 50% cheaper, than in Texas [sm=groupwave.gif]

Old 08-26-2005, 07:45 PM

Illegal to pump your own gas in NJ also, and it's cheaper then here in Mass, 93 now up to $2.79.9/10 a gallon. What I find strange diesel is more expensive then most grades below 93 or 92, Diesel was always cheaper then gas in general. All diesel is I understand is No 1 heating oil, vice the No 2 most people use in their homes? I knew a guy years ago who owned a trucking company and bought heating oil to run his tractors on, until the state taxman got him.

Old 08-26-2005, 07:52 PM

Is the NJ law a relatively recent one? I remember driving on the NJ Turnpike regularly and pumping my own gas the few times I had to stop and get some.

Old 08-26-2005, 07:54 PM

Small station always charge more for diesel. Don't ask me why.
At truck stops in CA diesel and regular are oscillating withing 3 cents.
For off-road vehicles you can buy non-taxable diesel with red dye in it. Takes a trip to special stations, that supply it.
Don't let them catch you on the road with red stuff in the tank. It will stain even 5-th tank after fill-ups with normal diesel.
Got some of this stuff with my motorhome and took me 1/2 year to get it out of the system.

Old 08-26-2005, 09:17 PM
Super Moderator

she put in the lowest grade
no problem. the system will adjust the ignition timing once detected.

it is included on what you pay for MB.

Old 08-26-2005, 10:08 PM

I've gone back and forth to NJ for the past 30 years, as I grew up in Jersey City and I never remember being allowed to pump my own gas. People do it when their in a hurry I guess, but it has been the law since I started driving in 64 and as far as I know has never changed, even thou some of my friends down there said a decade or so ago, a grassroot movement tried to have the law changed, so the state mandated that a station couldn't mark up gas and had to price it the same as self serve in neighboring states. Here in Mass a station that pumps gas gets up to ten cents extra for the service.

Old 08-26-2005, 10:19 PM

ORIGINAL: Lugnut

Is the NJ law a relatively recent one? I remember driving on the NJ Turnpike regularly and pumping my own gas the few times I had to stop and get some.
NJ has had this law since 1949. I actually like sitting in the car and letting them do the work. This summer when I was there they did it all for me and I paid 20 cents a gallon less than here in Arkansas where I have to stand in the heat and cold and do it myself.

Old 08-27-2005, 12:04 AM

I wasn't even born in 1949, even though sleepwalker thinks I was. I coulda swore I pumped my own gas on the Turnpike. Oh well, not important.

Old 08-27-2005, 12:34 AM

Must be another senior moment.

Quick Reply: Wrong Gas