General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

wis/asra installation problem, need help pls

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 10:44 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: wis/asra installation problem, need help pls

it means that it cannot attach itself to the database. you got the error 1101 or something?

have you installed program manager? if you are not planning to install EPC, program manager is not necessary. the WIS can run without it or even without the service pack.

let's do it one more last time. format the computer, install driver for LAN and VGA display. run that WIS, d2kinst, setup.

client/server = no
license key = generate from WIS/ASRA unlimited
hard disk cache = yes
screensaver = no

it always work on me for years now.

once you have installed the PM, it will lock some files which makes it very difficult for you to reinstall WIS for it will do the same thing and error again.
for example, it will leave the data on WINNT folder such as: lan.id, lic_key, lic_key.old, etc. they can be dll files and doesn't comes out when uninstalled. so the best way is to reformat and install the operating system. it will save you time since it only takes two hours to do it.

it is also better to copy the the WIS DVD to hard disk as virtual cd rom file using alcoholsoft, virtual drive, etc. installation is much faster. no need to wait forever anxiously.

you can do it. don't worry. it just differs from pc configuration to another. what i advice is the effective and direct way.

Old 04-14-2006, 03:18 AM

I did exactly what you said so I guess I did not install the program manager. At least it did not show up on screen when I pushed "all programs." However, I did try to install it in earlier attempts. When I uninstalled it I also used the End It All program to remove everything from the "opt" and "var" files and then manually removed several other files that I found through search and emptied my recycle bin.

My knowledge of computers is obviously not as good as yours. I understand most of what you say but when you say "install driver for LAN and VGA display" I am a bit confused. Is the loopback adapter which is currently installed (although it says it has "limited or no connectability") the driver for LAN and VGA display? Is there something else I need to do? Also, when you say that I should "reformat the computer" are you saying that I should erase the entire hard drive and reenter windows and everything? If so, that is a bit more than I want to do at this point. Can I just use Norton Utilities Speed Disk to defragment and clean up the drive? Until I hear from you, I'll go ahead and do all this again and also carefully look for and eliminate those dll files you mention. BTW, if and when I am successful, is Wislite just another way of saying Wis without EPC?
Thanks again for the help on this.
Earl

Old 04-14-2006, 07:04 AM
Super Moderator

wislite only appears when you install with wisinst.

LAN and VGA is required when installing the WIS. (ethernet adapter driver). (color setting 1024x768).

it is better to install it before norton since norton sometimes block the access to the server.

clean install is better. just move your files to D:\ before doing it so you can access them after re-installing the OS.

what is your OS and WIS version anyway? do you have license key generator?

Old 04-14-2006, 05:10 PM

I don't know how I could have gotten wislite if it only installs with wisinst unless there were some hidden files that caused it. I definitely installed through d2kinst as you suggested, however, I have found, and been unable to remove, the lan.id and lic_key.old files you mentioned. They may be the source of much of my trouble but I am not sure I am up to totally reformatting my hard drive, reentering the OS, etc. without losing much of the stuff that I don't want to lose.

My OS system is XP home and my Wis is the 2006 version. I do have the license key generator and have had no problem coming up with the license key. BTW, I have tried installing just using XP home and also tried after changing the compatibility to Windows 2000. Results have been the same. Do you think my situation is hopeless unless I reformat the hard drive, or is there a chance of success through other measures?

Old 04-18-2006, 03:09 PM

I have sort of succeeded in installing Wis! Unfortunately, I ended up with something called Wislite which may or may not be the same. After trying for two days I still haven't been able to fully use it but it may just be a matter of better studying the instructions. For example, it will not accept my VIN number. I have to work around that by choosing the model number. In any case, my tentative "success" resulted from following Sleepwalker's advice and using d2kinst instead of wisinst to install it. Even then, the installation failed on the first through third attempt. (Didn't somebody say that the definition of insanity is repeating something that failed over and over expecting it to succeed?) However, on the fourth (using exactly the same procedures) it mysteriously came to life. Now I've got to find out what the difference is between Wis and Wislite.

eh

Old 04-18-2006, 11:46 PM
Super Moderator

WIS got damage code and ASRA.

wislite got too?

Old 04-19-2006, 06:53 PM

Yes, wislite seems to have both asra and damage code. Now if I can just decide what to do with them. I've spent many hours trying to understand the system by looking up simple tasks like changing plugs, oil filters, etc. with limited success but I don't really see how the system is supposed to work. e.g. When would one use astra as opposed to assyst or infobox 1? How do I go directly to the literature and print it out once I am able to enter the operation number I want? Hopefully, if I play with this thing long enough I will better understand it but it certainly seems more complicated than it needs to be.

eh

Old 08-04-2006, 06:11 PM

hi i purcause star diagnoses basic 2 windous xp is any way to install wis to operate on it because it have only das. many thanks hervin

Old 10-10-2009, 08:28 AM
Default Problems with Program manager on wis asra

Can anyone help. installation appears to go fine. but when I go into PM - program manager enter admin and password admin - everything is in german.
The video says you need to click on PMADM icon to change the language, but when I do this a dialog box appears - I've looked up the translation as it appears in german - and it says something along the lines of "the application does not exist"
at the beginning it said PM was installed successfully - what can I try? i've un installed and installed twice now.
Also its running very slow - keeps saying not responding but if left for 10 mins starts working again.

Help

thanks

Old 12-31-2009, 09:07 PM

I had WIS up and running on my first try and after nearly a year of good service it reverted to German only. I deleted the program but it refused to reinstall and I left in on the shelf for 6 months. I installed a new hard drive and since I was starting with a fresh and clean drive I tried again but end up with a long warning in German that will not allow me to enter the code or change language.

I deleted the folders and all files and went into the registry to delete any mention of WIS, Benz or Daimler and still no luck

i did try the d2kinst method and it allowed me to enter the code but the program still would not run.

Any other help would be greatly appreciated.
Bill

Quick Reply: wis/asra installation problem, need help pls