General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Wiring a Universal Antenna to 300 SDL

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 12:29 PM
Default Wiring a Universal Antenna to 300 SDL

Hey all.

I have a 1987 300SDL. Had to buy a new antenna. Got a universal antenna. I'm having a problem with the wiring and need some help.

The universal antenna only has 3 wires. One Red, Black and Green. The wiring diagram says that the Back goes to ground and the other 2 will go to the wires that power the antenna.

The problem is this. I have tried many different connections and here is what I get:

1. Connection option #1 makes the antenna go up as soon as the radio is turned on. The antenna switch on the dash does not control antenna.

2. Connection option #2 does not make the antenna go up as soon as the radio is turned on. The antenna will go up, only when the antenna switch on the dash is set to the "max" position. If I turn the switch to the middle or "off" then it goes down. Did not like this optoin as it did not seem like the switch was to be left in the "max" position.

3. Connection option #1 makes the antenna go up as soon as the radio is turned on. The antenna will go down, only when the antenna switch on the dash is set to the "off" position. If I turn the switch to the middle it will go back up. Did not like this optoin as it did not seem like the switch was to be left in the "off" position. Also, can not raise the antenna say half way up rather than max.

So I'm very confused and I don't want to take my chances of burning out a motor or fuse or something because I'm not wiring it up correctly.

I really appreciate any help.

David

Old 08-22-2009, 09:42 PM
Default Installing a generic antena in a 87 300SDL

I installed a generic antena in my '87 300 SDL without cutting any wires. I took apart the stock antena. When I took apart the antena there was a tube that the wire from the radio screwed into. It is was located where the antena goes through the body to the outside. I found an generic antena with a plug that fit in that tube and just slid the plug into the tube. It did not plug into the tube but just slid in and fit tight. Used some tape to hold it and attached the antena to the car. It worked just fine. No cutting or splicing.