General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

WHAT IS GOING ON?!?!?!?!?!!?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 05:13 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: WHAT IS GOING ON?!?!?!?!?!!?

One thing we might see is that the current AMG engines will be going into the older cars W124, W126, W140 and 201s because of them being handbuilt and will outlast the whole cars that they are in now so we will be able to put them in a chassie that will last. imagine a 300e with an S55 engine[sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 02-20-2006, 06:52 PM

I've got 2 cents to put into this.
Let me expound on something black wolf touched on: electronics. People are still paying top $ for quality, but for many people today quality is defined as the latest hi tech whiz bang gadgetry. One of the cars advertised on tv in the USA features windshield wipers that come on at the first drop of rain, and that has a rear sunshade that electronically senses the sun and mechanically opens. Question: will these thingies be working in 10 years? NOT! People want the latest electronics, but these things are so ridiculously expensive to repair, and so fragile, that it of course reduces a car's useful life expectancy.
These days mechanics have to wear ground straps in order to prevent shorting out sensitive systems just by walking and building up static electricity. These electronic systems are way too touchy and way too expensive for today's cars to last the long haul. A lot of today's top $ cars definitely won't be around in 20 years. Too many vital hi tech systems will need to be replaced, and it will simply cost too much. It's sad in a way. I'm one of those people that never really minded rolling up his own windows. Most of this hi tech crap is just nonesense to me.

Old 02-20-2006, 07:13 PM
Super Moderator

I dont care for rolling up my own windows but to me a Navigation system is a Map or Road atlas and i dont need a central control unit for my radio,HVAC,cell phone, and everything. Power seats are nice but i can take them or leave them. But if u read some of the tech posts its not all electrical alot is but some are major problems, engine, trans. Things that should not be going any on new cars from the cheapest KIA to the MAYBACH. We have been building cars since the 1880s engine problems should not be occuring. WE might as well have problems making a wheel.

Old 02-21-2006, 05:12 AM

mbz300sdl,
As a former president I didn't vote for is famous for saying, "I feel your pain." I know if I paid $100 thousand for a car, I would expect the darn thing to LAST, and last for a long time.
But electronics are increasingly to blame for engine and tranny failures these days. Let me give a personal example: I gave up on a car because the transmission lock-up converter solenoid failed. The mechanics of the tranny were fine. But that damn little solenoid quit giving the right signal at the right time - and the auto tranny would stall just like a manual when the clutch isn't engaged. Computers are in car engines and transmissions to an astonishing degree. And when you have electronics in a high temperature environments, you are asking for problems over time. The higher tech the car, the worse this problem can be.
I wouldn't say that that's the only reason Mercedes might be having problems. I've heard that over the last 10 years, they reduced their development time on new models from 5 years to about 3. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to know that it takes time to develop a good rocket.
One thing I also wonder about is the disgruntledness of modern automakers' labor forces. It would be interesting to do a full-fledged study on the auto industry of worker satisfaction vs. output quality. In our era of unionized labor forces, there seems to be a constant attitude of griping amongst workers who are being paid far more than their education and training levels would otherwise garner. They're angsting themselves right out of jobs, but they have to shut the plant down before the workers realize they had a pretty good thing going after all. It's a big problem in the US, but I understand it's even worse in Europe - where a job for life is considered to be an entitlement.

I actually referred your post to another forum I belong to - http://forum.w116.org - for the very reason that old Benzes seem to avoid a lot of issues that newer ones are suffering from. We old Benz lovers say, "Keep your damn nav systems and bluetooth crappola." And I add to that, "Keep your damn torque converter solenoids."

Old 02-26-2006, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator

I have noticed a difference in paint.

My old 1990 190E 2.6 has been rubbed and buffed at least 6 times over the last 16 years to keep it shiny and remove scratches. The paint is pretty thick.

I rubbed through the paint on my 2000 CLK while cleaning it. I bet that car has less than .oo2" paint on it. I was NOT impressed.

Also what's with the gothic color pallette these days? I was looking at getting a 2005/2006, but the colors are so morbid, I had to walk. I still like Alabaster white, but they quit making that pretty blue I wanted. Now all you get are black, blackish blue, blackish red, blackish green, and silver. I read on the MBUSA site that ANY color can be custom ordered; thank goodness!

Charles

Old 02-27-2006, 09:44 PM

I know I know!!!1

you either have a broken left reverse continuim transfunctioner or a un adjusted rear left falangie.

and benz dealer ship cna replace or adjsut these for about 30$ in a few minutes, they like busines sliek this form nubs.

Old 02-27-2006, 10:19 PM
Super Moderator

What??? I have u know that my 300sdl has not been to a Mercedes dealer since before 1999 when my dad bought it.

Old 02-28-2006, 03:47 AM
Super Moderator

Now and say Dealer maintained means little. Half the time the dealer can't get it right, which in turns causes more problems which in turns generate more buisness for them. They know what they are doing. It's called business in today's world.

Old 02-28-2006, 11:32 PM

The nice thing about dealers is they use NOS parts if they can, then OEM parts. ALso, they actualy know what they are doing. And if YOUR benz is covered by their famous either 100,000M, 200,500M or lifetime warranty then why not go to a dealer- afterall they are free if your car is under one of these warranties.

Old 03-01-2006, 12:08 AM
Super Moderator

No actually they dont always know what they are doing. They use the "shotgun" approach to fixing cars try everything till it works. When u have proof that u are a certified mechainic post again. Until then worry about graduating high school. And guess what i am only 4 years older than u so dont think ur going to **** off some old guy.

Quick Reply: WHAT IS GOING ON?!?!?!?!?!!?