General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

W126 Doesnt stop

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 05:43 AM
Default W126 Doesnt stop

Hi, I just joined.

I bought a 1983 Mercedes 280 W126 several months back. I really like the car, it has very littlerust, its a diesel conversion withwhat someone told me was a 3litre6 cylinder W124 diesel engine and is automatic. It was professionally converted and a mechanic told me it was a fabulous car, in great condition witha superb converionand would go for ever.

And this seems to be the problem lately. Iam aware thatMercedes have a reputation for cars that go for ever but I was at a funeral lately and when I arrived at the churchI couldnt turn off the ignition.At the time I had no choice so I had to stick itin the corner ofthe churchcar park. Afterwards we had to go to the graveyard where "Mushroom" as I have named the car, stayed ticking over for the whole deal. We then went on toa reception in a hotel for several hours, andlaterin the daymy brother, who used to workon diesel engines forthe lighthouses,managed to smotherMushroom's air intake.

Eventually, I got through to a mercedesmechanic and heexplained that there was a cut off switch.The switch lever was missing but there was a stub there which did the trick in cutting off the engine. Since then I have been pulling the bonnet (Hood for all in the US) every time I stop, and using a length ofunderfloorheating pipe to get at this stub quickly. I can cut the engine in 7.46 seconds at this stage from pulling the bonnet lever.

Anyway. I would like to sort this outand would be gratefull ifanyone knowsif this is an electrical, fuse,solinoid ? problem. Ihavn't done any mechanics in years but this is a personalmission. The engine was pressure hosed a few days prior to this problem which I think was one of the causes. There are a few wires hanging out the back of the area where the stub is however, I see no place for them to joinanywhere in the engine bay

Thanks.

Peter

Old 05-30-2008, 09:30 PM
Default RE: W126 Doesnt stop

This is normally caused by a vacumme hose that has come loose. Look for any loose hoses in the area around the oil filter holder as I used to knock this hose loose all the time when I would change the oil filter.

Since you hosed off the engine the loose vacumme hose could be anywhere so just look around. When you find it just stick it back where it looks like it might go.

In the future do not use heated water to clean a diesel engine as you might knock the injuction pump out of calibration.

Sam

Old 06-05-2008, 04:43 PM
Default RE: W126 Doesnt stop

Thanks Sam,

I havn't founda loosehose (Yet)Could it be anything else? There are loose cables coming from the rear of the starter?

Peter