General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

W-126 S-Class Wheel Sizes/Stereo Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 04:46 PM
Default W-126 S-Class Wheel Sizes/Stereo Upgrades

Two Quick Questions:

Foremost-- I'd like to fit a set of 16" alloy wheels [those used on the earliest of the 1990-2002 SL models] to a W-126 S Class and wanted to confirm that these will fit without rubbing or any other untoward consequences. I would imagine the swap isn't a problem given that the bolt pattern is the same, and the offset [21mm or so] seems to be close to original spec, but was once told that 16' wheels were too large for this vehicle--particularly at the front.

Secondly, I am in the process of upgrading the audio system from current factory equipment [surprise, surprise]. I'm not interested in anything too ridiculous--not competition-level sounds or anything, but rather something comparable to a high quality modern setup [along the lines of the harmon kardon systems in the newer Mercedes]. I am considering a blaupunkt head unit, along with some mbquart 4" coaxials in the front dash, mbquart 4X6 coaxials in the rear deck [car is a 1985 with the pathetic 4X6 speaker holes in rear deck. I'd rather not do any extensive mods to rear deck]. So here's my primary question: Can, and is it pratical for me to install mbquart 8" subs in each of the rear doors? If so, will this give me the good [if not ear-shattering] bass I'm looking for. I've read about the endless conundrum concerning W-126 [and W-124] cars and trunk mounted subs [what with the fuel tank location and so-on], and would rather not be bothered with the idea of fitting a sub to the trunk, but do plan to fit some sort of amplifier--likely mbquart as well to the trunk. I will not be doing any of the installation myself, but rather paying an experienced audio shop to do this--but am asking about the feasibility of all of this from the "Is it practical," and "Does it make sense" standpoints.

Any advice would greatly be appreciated. Thanks in advance, and Happy New Year to all!

Old 01-05-2006, 11:48 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: W-126 S-Class Wheel Sizes/Stereo Upgrades

try this calculator.

is it pratical for me to install mbquart 8" subs in each of the rear doors?
it depends on how thick it is. you have to consider the glass mechanism that may touch it.

why not in the rear panel?