General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

trunk release 300D

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 11:13 PM
Default trunk release 300D

My 81 300D might be seized but I have to get into the trunk...without the motor started, the vacuum locks will not unlock the trunk...is there any other way in???

Next question...How do I know it is seized??It passed aircare,,,runs clean doesn't burn or use oil..I took it on a highway run and as I pulled off the road, It felt like the brakes were very hard with little grab..I thought one of the vacuum lines was off as this has happened before but when I turned the car off and pulled the key out , it was still running perfectly....I opened the hood for the kill switch and the motor just stopped....It wasn't dieseling and never has.....that was it...I got it towed home.....It doesn't even try to start....batteries and glow plugs are fine...starter and alternator are newer...I do know that the vacuum pump was sketchy and booked for a rebuild...but how can I know for sure it is in fact seized or if there is a relay or doo-dad somewhere stopping it from starting???I have as auto body college ready to take it for rust repair to the floor but don't know whether to sell it for parts and forget it...

Old 11-21-2006, 03:56 AM
Default RE: trunk release 300D

Got no info on an old un like yours however a couple of wild ideas.

If the locks are vacuum from the engine then how about using an electric vacuum pump connected into the line under the bonnet somewhere. More recent models use an electric pump to power the locks.

Is the engine seized? Easy. Disconnect battery (so it doesn't accidentally start especially since you couldn't turn it off!) and attempt to turn the engine over using a spanner on the crank pulley nut. (Like in the old days pre starter motors)
If it turns it ain't seized. If it doesn't you've got the answer.

Good luck.
Stuart

Old 11-21-2006, 09:29 PM

Unlock it with the key!

Old 11-22-2006, 03:07 AM

Sounds likea good idea.
Stuart

Old 11-22-2006, 03:33 AM

good idea but on this baby, the key only works on all doors and trunk if the vacuum lines are functional..without the car starting , there is not enough vacuum to release it first..I was just lucky not to lock the doors when it was towed home..thanks

Old 11-22-2006, 04:34 AM

ORIGINAL: janice.leskun

good idea but on this baby, the key only works on all doors and trunk if the vacuum lines are functional..without the car starting , there is not enough vacuum to release it first..I was just lucky not to lock the doors when it was towed home..thanks
I don't understand that. I have a 1982 300D Turbo and I can't understand why your 1981 would be that different. The trunk opens with the key. It does not need a vacuum to operate, and neither does the drivers side door. But without the vacuum the key will only lock or unlock one door at a time, which are the drivers door and the front passenger door, and can not lock or unlock the trunk or any other door by only accessing the drivers side door.

True, if one locks the drivers side door and the auto has a vacuum built up, all of the doors and trunk will lock. But if the driver's door has not been locked and the trunk key slot is parallel to the bumper, then all of the doors as well as the trunk remain open. All one needs do is push the button on the trunk and pull it up. However, if the key slot is perpendicular/straight up, it can only be opened with the key. Put the key in as you push on the button. Keep the button down as you turn it to your left, and raise the trunk lid up.

One doesn't need a vacuum to unlock both drivers and front passenger side doors. All one needs is the key. The trunk can be also be locked with the key turned in the straight up position. Otherwise the trunk remains open. If the car has a vacuum, the ignition key in the drivers door lock will engage all locks including the trunk. Again, it seems to me, unless the German's made your 123 unique unto its self, since you didn't lock the drivers side door it seems to me all one need do is use the ignition key in the trunk lock, turn it parallel with the bumper, push on the trunk button and raise it up.

Old 11-22-2006, 02:24 PM

I put your question to Henry et al at:
http://www.schumanautomotive.com/for...ead.php?t=2315
and got a more informed response from Brandon and Henry.

Old 11-23-2006, 03:23 AM

after driving this car for over 10 years, I know how to open the trunk....the one and only way after unlocking the doors is to start the car and actually hear the click as the trunk unlocks....maybe it was made special only for me...it was not made for export...it was imported by the owner from Germany...oh well ...back to by dumb blonde work...

Old 11-23-2006, 03:57 AM

I have no idea of the spec of this car however if the lock/latch on this car is vacuum then my previous suggestion is all that you can do.
You need to create a new source of vacuum.
Beyond that I don't know how we can help.

Old 11-23-2006, 03:39 PM

ORIGINAL: janice.leskun

after driving this car for over 10 years, I know how to open the trunk....the one and only way after unlocking the doors is to start the car and actually hear the click as the trunk unlocks....maybe it was made special only for me...it was not made for export...it was imported by the owner from Germany...oh well ...back to by dumb blonde work...
`Sorry for sounding so condescending. I tend to get carried away when puzzled. Of course I'm still a little amazed about your special 300D and its trunk.... Yet since it seems you've long ago come to terms with it, that's my conundrum ....
regards,
charlie

BTW, Since your trunk is not designed to lock and unlock with a key, then there must not be a key hole or button on your trunk..... But if there's a keyhole/button on the trunk, then it was obviously made to be locked and unlocked with a key.... which means the trunk had a glitch when you bought it, or

Quick Reply: trunk release 300D