General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Transmission Problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 10:41 PM
Default Transmission Problems

I have a 2006 C230. I've had the car for a couple of weeks now. It had 40 miles on it new and now has 650 miles. Last week I was driving it and it wouldn't shift right. It's like it wouldn't get out of 1st or 2nd gear. When I gave it more gas it wouldn't do anything but the rpm's would finally shoot up to 4000 and back down. The car would still not change gears. I was close to my dealership so I took the car there. It was late in the day and the service guys were already gone. I spoke to my sales person and he drove it and the car did fine with him. He accused me of putting the car in manual mode and not knowing it. I remember looking down to make sure it wasn't but I thought maybeI was mistaken. I had even stopped the car and put it in park. I would think that if I did put it in manual mode then this would have corrected that. It has been doing fine except for tonight and it did the same thing. I pulled into a parking lot, stoped the car and turned the engine off. This didn't change anything. I pulled it into a parking spot and put it in reverse. The car would not go at all in reverse. I turned the car off again and was able to back up but the car still wasn't shifting. I drive it around the parking lot a little more and it finally started running right. Has anyone else experienced this or know what might be causing it. Sorry for the long confusing description but I'm a girl.

Old 09-20-2005, 02:05 AM
Default RE: Transmission Problems

Just a tough. You are not talking about the situation with cold engine, when computer keeps it longer before shifting?

Old 09-20-2005, 11:23 AM

No. Both times it has happen the car was driven for about 20 minutes and stopped for about an hour and then restarted. That's when the shifting problem happens.

Old 09-20-2005, 06:35 PM

It would help if you had a thought, instead of a "tough." I know you find it difficult to use what little brain matter you have, but try harder, will ya?

Old 09-20-2005, 06:40 PM

Thanks Lugnut. Just not to flood the forum for personal notes, you can use PM in the future?
car was driven for about 20 minutes and stopped for about an hour and then restarted.
That still looks to me, like the computer is holding the gear shifting because of cold engine.
Maybe it is misaligned, or the sensor malfunction?

Old 09-20-2005, 07:00 PM

You're welcome. It's always a hoot talking to a bubblehead and you're my favorite.

The "feature" you're talking about doesn't affect reverse gear. Also, the trans still wouldn't shift after the cats were lit.

You should ask where she lives (or he, I don't know for sure). Ambient temp affects the warm up cycle. If it's a hot day, the trans just shifts normally. On a warm day, the extended shift may happen just once. On a cold day, the extended shift may happen twice. The extended shift is also dependent on how far it is to the next point where the car must slow down and downshift to first gear and upshift again, but that's obvious for 4th grader thinkers and above.

Old 09-20-2005, 11:07 PM

I dropped my car off at the dealership this morning for service. According to them when the cars are shipped to them from the factory the transmissions are sealed with the transmission fluid added. For some reason my car was missing 2 quarts of transmission fluid. I now have the car back. I hope this fixes the problem. Thanks for the input.

Old 09-22-2005, 07:53 PM

Seems that for the price of a Mercedes, the dealership might want to check the car out before turning it over to a new owner........

Old 09-22-2005, 10:05 PM

I agree. They didn't even put windshield washer in it. That really pisses me off too. It didn't make a good impression on a new owner.