General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Tire PSI

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2004, 10:27 AM
Default RE: Tire PSI

I did not mention over inflating the rear tires.
But that's what this thread is about. Sorry for confusing you. 30 PSI is normal for my tires. The recommended PSI on my car is 30 PSI in the front and 33 PSI in the rear. That means the rear tires are 3 PSI over-inflated. Are you with me now?

It has been explained to me that a few PSI less in the front makes for a more comfortable ride.
Under-inflate the front tires by a few PSI? For street use? That will cause uneven wear and decrease fuel economy, as I explained.

"Sport" tires are much softer than "General use" e.g. "all season" tires...
There are other important differences, but that's another debate. I just wanted to understand on what you were basing your point.

... and most people who have these vehicles tend to keep the recommended pressures in their tires.
Which vehicles are you talking about?

And who's questioning whether anyone follows the recommended PSI or not, anyway? Where did that come from? How do you know that most people tend to do anything? Is that a gut feeling you have? Have you taken a poll? Have you read someone's research? What?

As for AMG, They design the wheels for their "package", not tires,...
By "tire package" I mean the wheels as well as the tires used on whatever their "package" is and however they put it together, silly doof. I doubt if you have a clue how they design anything, but you're not above making a good-sounding guess. Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

... and come to think of it there are alot of AMG vehicles that have matching tires all around.
So a lot are matching but most are not. What's your point here? Regardless, the PSI is most commonly the same on front and back even when the wheel and tire package for a vehicle package, however designed and whatever separate pieces come first on whatever package you want to define, includes different sizes, except for farm tractors, construction equipment, and such. I apologize for sending you off on a tangent.

Old 08-21-2004, 09:03 AM

Sorry if I sounded like I was off on a "tangent". I intended no such attitude.
We are on the same page, so to say, about this tire pressure thing.
I was just relaying what I was told when I asked the same question when I started working for MBNA.
In reality the driving conditions and intended use are what indicate proper PSI on any vehicle. In my short 20+ years of automotive experience, I find that most people do not check their tires often enough.
As for the 'sport tire' thing. I'm constantly reminded of the lack of knowledge as people here in MI purchase a set of low profile rims and proceed to install a tire with a treadwear rating around 200 and then complain that it doesn't handle worth a damn in the snow! And a large percentage of people who store their vehicle tend to ignore the tires-hence flatspots.
I don't make it here as often as I like, but do enjoy this section of the forum. I am willing to discuss any Mercedes related subjects if anyone wants to Email me. I'm slow on the computer (especially if my 4 year old is around) but I try to respond to all requests.
Sincerely, Larry

Old 09-01-2004, 07:44 PM

I haven't questioned the need for the lower psi for the front tires until I read this thread. For my 89 300E, I have been keeping the pressures at the recommended 26/30 psi front to back. At first, I was uncomfortable with the low pressure in the front tires. I haven't had a ride with that low recommended tire pressure since the 60's. After driving the car for 6 months, I find that my front tires are wearing evenly but the back tires are wearing on the outside edges as if the tires were under-inflated. I promise I do keep close tabs on the tire pressure and I don't drive with a elephant herd in the back. Anyone else notice this type of wear.

Cheers, JDub