General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Tire Pressure Sensors (RDK) computer mod

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2004, 02:13 PM
Default Tire Pressure Sensors (RDK) computer mod

Hi Everyone!
I have already done a search for this, so I feel I'm able to post a new thread since there's no info!!

The Tire Pressure Monitoring System
Do the S Class W220 and SL Class R230 have the built in capability to receive the signals with a 'quick fix' on the on-board computer?
ie - If I fit the transponders into the rims, will it take care of the rest, or can I reprogramme something to enable this system?

Are the receivers on each corner or centrally on the car? What prevents one cars signal being received by another when driving next to each other?

Many Thanks for your input (no pun intended) on this!

Chris

Old 09-03-2004, 12:06 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Tire Pressure Sensors (RDK) computer mod

what is "quick-fix"? (pardon my innocence)

you can reprogram it by using the activation button on the right hand multi-function steering wheel (plus and minus button).

the reciever are located on each fender, 4 of them... and not common for all sensors.

what prevents the signals from being read by others? the best question is, why the front left tire doesn't confuse it with the other tires?

it operates on 433mhz or 315mhz. it determines the position from the field strengths measured at the wheel antenna. this ensures that the data can be correctly matched to the relevant wheel.

Old 09-03-2004, 11:14 AM

So If I have a car which was not fitted with the RDK system when it left the factory, I can put the transmitters into the rims, reprogram the computer and everything will work? Do the receivers in the fenders come on all cars, regardless of their original factroy spec?
I suppose that 315MHz is US AND 433MHz everywhere else?
Thanks for your reply!

(ooh! A 'Quick Fix' is something easy to do like a reprogramme, that costs lots less and is much quicker than the official alternative)

Old 09-03-2004, 09:08 PM
Super Moderator

no, you still don't have the antenna inside the fenders.

i still got no information if it can be installed separately because the function is integrated with the CAN and which connects with at least 6 control units (of course you only need 2 wires for the CAN. everything else are goes to power and sensors).

i believe you can install. but you need to change the coding on EIS to "fitted" with TPS, and "USA" version. do the coding to the instrument cluster too, so it will display there.