General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

THUMP WHEN TAKE-OFF

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 08:12 PM
Default THUMP WHEN TAKE-OFF

Hey fellas, can any one of you guys help me out. bought a used 99 e320 that was hit in th epast. body work had been repaired but prior to me buying it. dont know the history and the prior owner is no help. my problem is that when i accelerate at a high speed, i feel a thump and it stays continuous until i slow down or coast. it feels as if the strut moves or the rack and pinion rotates a bit. it only happens when i accelerate or turn left at a high speed. if i casually speed up or turn at a low speed, you'd never know there was a problem. i got under the car and everything looks fine and tightened down, except the tie rod end on the drivers side coming off of the rack and pinion. there seems to be a lot of play and the bushing is in need of replacement. can anyone help me out before i take it to the shop and pay for their estimates. would a tie rod end cause this "grinding noise" or thump? any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Old 10-04-2006, 12:04 AM
Default RE: THUMP WHEN TAKE-OFF

check three things,

First take a look at your exhaust heat shields. see if any of them are bent or too close to the exhaust piping.
They should have at least 4" space between them.

2nd: look at your plastic splash shields. they can also cause this noise.

3rdlook at your motor mounts. dont forget your trans mount if it looks like it is sagging replace it.
Even though it is not completely broken it still can cause problems.

Old 10-04-2006, 04:12 PM
Default RE: THUMP WHEN TAKE-OFF

THANKS FOR THE ADVICE. IM DEFINITELY LOOKING AT THE DIFFERENT IDEAS YOU GAVE. IT DIDNT EVEN DAWN ON ME ABOUT THE MOTOR MOUNTS AND TRANNY MOUNTS. THANKS!!! I'LL TAKE A LOOK THIS WEEKEND AND UPDATE. THANKS AGAIN.