General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Suspension E 200

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 12:53 AM
Default Suspension E 200

I have had myE200 Komp 2003 model for 4 years now and has given good service. The mileage is only 35000 and it is always driven very carefully. I had a broken rear nearside suspension spring replaced last month. Two days ago the car was on the drive and I saw itwas sitting low at the front but very low at the front offside. The car was trailered into the Mercedes garage and the front offside spring has broken. Thankfullyit hadbroken whilst the car was stationary. I just wondered if anyone else has had a similar problem as it worries me that another could go whilst driving and the body drops so low that you can't turn the wheels as theit drops virtually onto the top of the tyre. Thanks in anticipation
Peter

Old 04-01-2008, 01:07 AM
Default RE: Suspension E 200

Does our vehicle have Airmatic air spring option? You don't give vehicle year, model etc.

If the steel springs have broken then this is very unusual. What does the dealer say?
Not sure if there has been a TSB Technical Bulletin on this.

If Airmatic the problem is quite common since any leak in the system causes the problem to which you refer. When it is fully down you get a "Don't drive warning" because steering lock is restricted. In practice however other than some pretty worrying noises the system fails safe if it occurs whilst driving. Its not as bad as a suspension link failing in which case wheels can point in any direction.

Stiuart

Old 04-01-2008, 01:23 AM

Hi Stuart, Thanks for that. Details amended. It is a basic 2003 e200 Kompressor. It doesn't have airmatic as far as I know. I believe it to be the basic steel springs with telscopic damper. I did see the rear broken spring when it was taken off and it was a normal steel one. The dealership have not been back to me yet and are trying to source a new spring but they told me there was only one in the country and if they couldn't source that, it would have to come from Germany. Thanks Peter

Old 04-01-2008, 02:19 AM

Springs don't just break!

Do you drive over really bad roads where you live or is this a manufacturing inclusion or similar problem.

Not unknown for steel springs to break but two different springs on the same car...UNUSUAL...to say the least.

Stuart

Old 04-01-2008, 02:53 AM

Just heard back from the dealership. They say they will pay half the total charge for the spring and the fitting. The other spring was replaced elsewhere at another garage as we were away from home when it happened. The car has never been over a speed hump in it's life and is treated with kid gloves reall.

Pete

Old 04-01-2008, 03:00 AM

Good job you don't live in the UK!!

Speed bumps everywhere.

....or maybe you do?

Stuart

Old 04-01-2008, 03:10 AM

I do live in the uk Stuart - speed hump city !! We drive miles to avoid em. The car has 35000 on the clock and I reckon half of those miles are done avoiding the humps.
On a more serious note though - it really does concern me about the springs as if I was travelling at 70 say - and a front spring broke - I don't think I would be able to do much steering to control the car as the body dips so low when one goes.
Pete

Old 04-01-2008, 04:27 AM

I would expect MB to pay but my own personal experience with MB is that it all depends on the relationship with your dealer and basically if you are likely to be a repeat customer.
They don't "like" me since I got my cars Privately and know that although I may well get more MB's I will not pay dealer rates.

I wish I could but I'm not into paying £60k for a nearly new S Class. My £8k one w220 serves me almost as well as a new one and over the 3 to 4 years i have owned it depreciation has been minimal. Another 4 years and I reckon that depreciation and parts will level out at about £1k a year..(just been thru the brake rotor / tyres / battery cycle point!.....plus pf course petrol costs. Average is 30+ on main roads and I avoid using it on short town journeys...not bad for a 3.5litre.

How does the dealer / MB explain two broken springs on the same car at 35k miles?

Stuart