General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Storing a vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 05:22 PM
Default Storing a vehicle

Hello,

I have a 1982 500 SEL European model. The car is not regestered and is currently sitting in my yard. I have heard that parking a car on grass can be bad for the chassis becuase the moisture from the ground can cause the metal to rust. Is it any better to have the car parked on gravel for a long period of time? I have also been starting the engine periodically (monthly to weekly). Is this a good idea? Basically I wish to pose this question: What is the best way to store a car outside? What do I do with the fluid levels (such as engine oil, differential gear oil, transmission fluid etc)?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Old 08-08-2007, 06:13 AM
Default RE: Storing a vehicle

Awebsite to consider: http://www.automedia.com/Storing_Your_Vehicle/ccr20010601sv/1but even here notall steps are applicable.

I would:
Use a car cover; they are not expensive from local generic parts store.
I do not like adding preservatives to the fuel and fluids etc. If really going to store for a long period, no real good solution for the fuel and fuel tank as all methods of storing has pros and cons. I would keep the gas tank with only a few gallonsand keep adding in fresh fuel as needed during recurring starting.
Continue starting the car on a recurring basis and warm up engine, but also drivein circles or back and forth on the yard to get every moving around inside the gearboxes. This is actually better than putting on jack stands. Tire flat spotting may occur slightly, but driving around in the yard is better than not moving the car at all. A trickle charger may assist the recurring starting, but if the battery is in good shape and you really do startup regualry, you will be ok without one, unless something is wrong with electrical systems. Be flexible on using a trickle charger, most 1990s+ MB cars do not like any type of battery charging while battery is connected to the car.
Check all of the fluids regularly for quality. Change if questionable.
If you have the option, change the storage location, sometimes on grass, sometimes on gravel (better than on the grass/ground).
Most important step is the recurring starting and moving the car to exercise the gearboxes a bit.
If you can not do the car moving steps at all, consider jack stands to take weight off the suspension/tires.