General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Staticy radio when rear defrost activated

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 10:38 PM
Default Staticy radio when rear defrost activated

Had the E320 (2001) in the shop today to see why ac wasn't cooling like it should. Also mentioned that the radio would get staticy when I activated the rear defrost.

The dealer checked it out and this is what I was told...

the antenna is integrated into the rear windshield. to fix the problem the whole window and antenna has to be replaced. Cost of $600 as it is not covered by the certified warranty. Sounds fishy to me, but I could be wrong.

Those of you that know more than I do, is this true?

Old 04-20-2006, 12:27 AM
Default RE: Staticy radio when rear defrost activated

My experience is based on S Class.
If E Class is based on the same engineering (I expect it to be) then the statement is part correct.
The antenae is an electrical circuit on the rear glass. The rear defogger is a similar adjacent circuit.
The antenae signal is very weak and must be amplified before it reaches the radio.
On the S Class this is done thru what is known as a combo unit which attaches to the edge of the glass and carries all electrical connections to the glass. A poor connection between the components, possibly due to water ingress, can occur at this interface and gives your symptoms.
Your dealer has only mentioned the glass and not the amplifier / combo unit.
Access to this unit in the S Class is difficult since it is above the headlining and the repair is therefore expensive.
Stuart

Old 04-20-2006, 08:50 AM

I had a similar problem after having tinting fitted to the rear window.

Turned out just to be a poor connection at the amplifier. On a CLK, just pull back the headlining on the RHS of the rear window, and the amplifier will be there. If you look at the wiring in the rear window it will be obvious what part looks different, so just follow your nose.

Old 06-11-2006, 03:31 AM

Update on the staticy radio.

The antenna and rear windshield were replaced and also covered by the extended warranty. The radio now works fine when I use the defrost. I was originally told that the repair would not be covered by the warranty, but when I brought the car back in for the ac fix (parts had to be ordered) they told me that the new windshield was in and that it would be covered under warranty. WOO HOO!

Giant Auto Group of Ashland, Kentucky is the best darn dealership that I have ever had the pleasure of doing business with. I am most pleased with my service from them both before and after I purchased the E320. They keep it up and I will not be buying a car from any other dealer but them.