General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

SRS light on

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 05:44 PM
Default SRS light on

hi guys,
I own a C220 96 European Diesel model. I took out the airbag module inorder to balance the steering wheel without disconnecting the battery. Later on when I was done and reconnected it the SRS light comes and stays on. Any help in resetting it. Thanks

Old 02-09-2006, 04:35 AM
Default RE: SRS light on

Hi,
The light is on most probably because the SRS system detaected that the bag was disconnected during boot up. Not wise to work on SRS without ensuring that the circuitry is dead.

Unless you have an OBD scanner that can access the MB body ECU's, not just the Engine and Trans ones (basically different pinouts on the common OBD plug), you will have to go to a MB dealer or somebody with an appropriate scan tool.

Why was the steering wheel offset in the first place? New tyres, tracking...?
If you reposition steering wheel relative to the column you run the risk of upsetting other systems that rely on steering wheel position eg ASR. Assuming the steering wheel has never been repositioned (and has been correct in the past) it is best to 'centre" the steering by adjusting the trackrods equal amounts in the appropriate direction.

Hope you achieved what you wanted to do.
Stuart