General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

sleepwalker brake help

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 02:11 PM
Default sleepwalker brake help

Sleepwalker trying to do my own brake pads. Some members suggested removing clips to get to pads, don't see how. The only way I see it is to remove the calipers and the bolts are a bear. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Old 02-19-2007, 02:36 AM
Default RE: sleepwalker brake help

You don't state age model etc. In general however:......
You "drift" out the pins that secure the clips that rest on the pads.
These pins are held in place by spring collars on the inboard end.. Nothing else. You just tap them towards the centre of the car with a corret size driver (piece of round steel).

Are you competent / confident to be doing this work? Brakes are very important.

Stuart.

Old 02-19-2007, 08:41 AM

If you car is a 1990s, etc., version MB, previous post is exactly right. The brake pads can be replaced by using a small drift tool and drive the pins on top of the pads and caliper toward the inside of the car. I have used small diameter screwdriver and also other small diameter tools. As mentioned, gently tap the guide pins inward toward center of car. Gently remove the brake pad sensors from the connection points on the caliper mounting. Depress the caliper pistons slightly and the old pads with old sensors will slide easily upward and out of the caliper. Clean everywhere and ensure you do not get dirt/grease on the disc rotors. Insert new brake pad sensors into the new pads (they are cheap and always should be replaced at pad changing time). Use anti-squeal paste on the back of pads. If the new pads come with pad shims/liners on the back of the bads ensure they are installed correctly with the new pads when inserting into place in the caliper. Clean the guide pins, use high temperature brake grease on the pins and re-insert the guide pins. Tap back into place, ensure they correctly seat intothe caliper at the pin head. Be careful to not lose anything or knock something off during this work, such as the small caliper pistons cover ring on the outside of the piston boots, etc. All four wheels can be done in one hour, including going slow/being careful. If this seems challenging, suggest a repair shop work on your brake pad replacements. Thanks

Old 02-19-2007, 12:48 PM

Thanks gang for the help but, the 93 900E that I have does not have the pins. Don't know if it is an older version or newer version.

Thanks

Old 02-20-2007, 04:23 AM

Sorry. I don't have definitive info that far back.

Stuart.