General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

SL 500 vibration

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 12:14 AM
Default SL 500 vibration

I have a 2000 SL 500 with 82K miles on it. I put the last 50K on and have owned it for 4 years. A year ago, I started getting a rough (subjective) ride. The car seems to amplify all road defects rather than absorb them. I describeit as setting up a cyclic, harmonic vibration in the body but I don't know if that is correct terminology. I brought it to a local Benz dealer who swapped out the drive shaft with no change, shimmed the rear end with no change, swapped tires and wheels with no change and then gave it back to me telling me nothing was wrong and that convertibles vibrate! They offered to start swapping out the transmission and other major coponents, on my dime, but I passed. At least they didn't charge me for the two weeks of chasing a problem that they intially acknowledge the car had. The car use to ride like silk but now it is annoying to drive. The vibration occurs even on newly paved roads although it comes and goes and is much less annoying. The vibration is much more subdued with the hardtop in place. New rear shocks. Have replaced the tires with Bridgestones and now Michelins (forget which ones but they are supposed to be softer sidewalls) which were load force balanced twice. Original rims. No accidents, no abuse, no other drivers,just me and daily use. Either I have to get it fixed or get rid of it - the vibration is that annoying. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Mark

Old 03-31-2007, 01:52 AM
Default RE: SL 500 vibration

Hi,
I know how you feel. Vibrations can really get to you, even if they are only slight.
I accept that the vibration is new/ different although the statement that all convertibles vibrate is not entirely ficticious.
You make no mention of road or engine speed.
Does your car have ABC (Active Body Control)?
Please try to define the vibration in more detail.
For instance do you have a problem on smooth roads?
Is it related to inputs like potholes.
Is it a shake or a rythmic vibration. Do you feel it thry the steering wheel or you backside or your ears? If its the wheel is it a vertical, a horizontal or a ****le (rotation of wheel)type vibration. Maybe it has nothing to do with the steering wheel. If so how are you experiencing it.
Just talk about it a little more and this may lead to a better understanding of what is troubling you.
I'm impressed that you have had your wheels RFV balanced. Out of interest who offered you service. Its unusual to find such a service except in a research shop?
Stuart

Old 03-31-2007, 12:19 PM

Stuart,

Thanks for the reply. The vibration occurs above 20mph and continues on at any speed although I generally don't drive above 80-85mph. On perfectly smooth blacktop the car will cycle from vibration free to a slight vibration. On normal Chicago roads, tar strips, cracks, waves, and uneven surfaces will all cause the vibration. Sort of like driving down a washboard road. That is an overstatement but it seems to best describe the amount of vibration. I feel it more through the seat and body then the steering wheel but that has a vibration too. It is definitely body shake and cyclic. Torsional might describe itwhere the front and rear of the car are twisting in opposite directions as if on an axis down the lenght of the car? I'll hit a bump, the car will absorb the bump and then shake/vibrate.Since our roads aren't great, I'm always shaking/vibrating. It's a fair question/statement about convertibles vibratingbut I have owned several including an earlier SL so Iamconfident my SL is doing something it shouldn't. Definitely less noticable with the hardtop in place.

The car does not have ABC. The tires are Michelin Pilot Sports 245/45ZR17.One of my friends is a BMW mechanic and his dealershiphad alot of trouble with vibration and balancing so they got aload force balancer.Just to make surewe are using the same terms, this is a balancer that forces a load against the tire?

Mark

Old 03-31-2007, 12:38 PM

Mark/Stuart,
My 99 SL500 (current mileage 56K)exhibits the same symptoms as Mark's and I too had the Hunter Road Force Balance, etc. on 6month old Bridgestone Potenzas. I also have changed out motor mounts, trans mount, and steering shock and the vibration amount has improved with the combination of all the above, but it is still not riding as it should.

Thanks in advance for letting me join in on this discussion!

Bob
PS- Should this thread be on the SL specific forum?

Old 03-31-2007, 05:06 PM

Bob,

I'm new to the forum so I can't answer the 'SL specific' question. The tires I replaced were Potenzas which only had 5k miles on them. The car came with the original Continentals with no vibration. I think my next set were Michelins, then the Bridgestones and now the Michelin Pilot Sports. I personally don't think it is the tires because I have had several different tires on the car. I am not sure that the wheels are the cause either because the dealership said it was there even when they swapped on a different set of wheels/tires. But I don't know anything for sure and am not willing to rule out anything either. It just feels as if the body has lost some structural rigidity that it had before. Probably inaccurate but not really too bad a description especially since it lessens with the hardtop in place.I know old Firebird convertibles used to have large, spring-loaded cannisters in the trunk to subdue vibration and I can't help thinking about thoseand the body integrity whenever I am driving my car.I really hope somebody has an answer. I am checking with a guy at work on Monday who is supposed toknow a top flight Benz mechanic.Maybe he can help. After looking at your list of repairs and mine, I remain puzzled.Does Benz have any specialty engineers that are available for consultation?Is there anyway to find out from Benz ifthis is aknown problem on the SLs and if there is a fix?Sorry to hear you have the problem too.

Mark

Old 03-31-2007, 08:02 PM

Mark,
Thanks for your update. I'm sure MB does have 'experts' around but I have no clue where or how anyone gets access to them. Stuart,seems to be about the best and most knowledgeable in this forum and if/when he comes up with an idea or two, I'm sure he'll chime in..

Re your comments on tires...6000 miles ago, the Continentals came off (car was vibration free) and the Potenzas went on; still no vibration. Then it seems like one day, there it was. So I ran through the same path you did with Road Force and made the parts discoveries along the way.

Like you I've had many convertibles, 560SL, MGB, Camaro, Mustang, and even a Ferrari Boxer lookalike I built on a Fiero frame. We welded an X member to the Fiero frame after cutting the top off the car to add the necessary stability. But that was long ago and far away...let's get back to MB! I'm confident that there's enough expertise around this forum to help us out- Keep Shakin'

Bob.

Old 04-01-2007, 12:49 AM

Bob,

Mine started just like yours - suddenly. One day I was driving down the tollway here and thought the road was really rough, then realized it was just paved. I was sure I threw a wheel weight. No big deal. That's when I brought it in to Benz for a few things and to have the wheels balanced. That was also when they told me the wheels were fine but the drive shaft was bad. Well, since your read my first post, you know the that didn't solve the problem. Love the car, hate the shake. If I get hold of this Mercedes whiz and he has any guidance, I'll post it. In the mean time, I, like you, will hope Stuart has some sage advice. Does your vibration also lessen when the hardtop is on?

Mark

Old 04-01-2007, 04:18 AM

Mark,

I live on the gulf coast of Florida and the hard top came off the 1st day I owned it and hasn't been back on since Since it didn't start this vibration thing until recently, doubtful putting the hard top on would make much difference.

Bob

Old 04-01-2007, 10:38 PM

I feel you on the vibration thing! I've been feeling it for the longest. I've been told the same things that you've already had done, but with no success. So, I'll just rule those out as options. You are also subject to be told that it's something internal with the engine, and that could very well be. With that, I do have a question. I'm wondering just what the Harmonic Balancer does? And if it's offin some way, what will be the symptoms. Because of it's relation (if there is) to the Crankshaft...does this play a role in this rhythmic vibration. I thought it was just my car, but now I know, I'm not alone.

However, I am going to change out the Motor and Transmission Mounts. Good luck to you. I'm looking forward to hearing what the cure is for what you're experiencing.

David

Old 04-01-2007, 11:25 PM

David,
The stuff below is from a Service Campaign, read ReCall, for the harmonic balancer on several models of MB's. Since it's primary function, as I understand it , is to act as a counter weight to the crankshaft to mitigate excess vibrations, whether your car is in the campaign or not, this part if defective, can most certainly cause a vibration. It's easy to check, and any knowledgable Tech can usually spot a bad one visually, by watching it spin at idle speed.
Mine was part of the recall, and it was replaced. Good point to bring up...Thanks!

Bob

Campaign - Harmonic Balancer Inspection/Replacement
FILE:
SERVICE: GROUP 00 OF SERVICE INFORMATION BINDER
PARTS: GROUP I OF INFORMATION _ PARTS & ACCESSORIES BINDER

Campaign No. 2005020003 April 2005
Revised May 2005
Revised July 2005
Revised December 2005
This revised Service Campaign bulletin 2005020003 supercedes previously issued Service Campaign bulletin 2005020003 released in July 2005. This campaign has been updated to include model 463.
Please destroy all previous Service Campaign bulletin versions.
TO: ALL MERCEDES-BENZ CENTERS
SUBJECT:
MODELS 163, 202, 208, 210 WITH ENGINES 112,
MODELS 129, 163, 202, 208, 210 215, 220, 463 WITH ENGINES 113,
MODEL YEARS 1998-2000;
MODEL 170 WITH ENGINE 112, MODEL YEAR 2001

INSPECT, IF NECESSARY REPLACE HARMONIC BALANCER PULLEY
This Service Campaign has been initiated because DCAG has determined that due to a supplier quality problem the harmonic balancer pulley in certain model year 1998-2001 vehicles may, depending upon vehicle use characteristics, be subject to high under-hood temperatures that can, over a long period of time, cause it to deteriorate. Prior to a harmonic balancer pulley deteriorating to a point of affecting vehicle performance and drivability, it will create several different types of driver warnings such as noticeable engine vibrations. Affected vehicles will be checked and the harmonic balancer replaced, as required.
Shown in this bulletin is a sample copy of a letter which owners of the affected vehicles will receive.
Prior to performing this Service Campaign:

^
Please check VMI to insure the vehicle has not been previously repaired for this condition and does not have other open campaigns.

^
Please review the entire Service Campaign bulletin.

^
Please verify the customer has presented a letter or has a complaint related to the harmonic balancer (explained above).

Approximately 363,487 vehicles are affected.

Quick Reply: SL 500 vibration