General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

s600 rear blind failure??

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 02:04 PM
Default s600 rear blind failure??

Hi Everyone

just joined the site today as i've just purchased a s600, but it has a small fault, wondered if anyone has a suggestion.

the rear blind does not work?? the switch on the dash is illuminated and the comp shows no faults??

any help appreciated.

Thanks

Tone

Old 12-06-2008, 05:42 PM
Default RE: s600 rear blind failure??

Ihad similiar issues. Figured it out thatthe gearing and cabling wear at the end of cycle runs (total top and total bottom of the mechanism). My issue is I can hear the motor skipping over gears at these two ends of travel, so I either avoid the total top or bottom travel points by about one gear tooth, or assist the movement on the side arms by helping with just a slight nudge of hand movement, thenall is well.

Old 12-08-2008, 07:06 AM

thanks for your input, will look into that possibility.

cheers

Old 12-24-2008, 10:13 AM

BigTone, there are several threads on this very subject. My E320 rear sunshade has been problematic from the start. In short, our shades are very similar in function and design. My shade was okay for about a year then one day it just stuck in the up position. I even tried coaxing it with the help of a friend pushing the down button... No good. I had it up for a year! Then I got sick of it and paid my independent mechanic to lower it to the turn of $35. About 6 months later I started using it again and one day.. BAM! It stuck up again. Pissed off I took it to the same mechanic and had some lovely chats with him about this P.O.S. sunshade. He works at the local dealer fulltime and only works at my indie shop part time. He said that whenever a customer would come in with a problem with the sunshade that the mechanics would run. He said that they all hated working on these things. They are cheaply made and a serious pain to repair as you have to remove the entire back deck to get to them. Furthermore, they can run about $600 to fix/replace. He released the shade again and then I removed the fuse when I got home so that it can't be used again for fear of another episode in which it becomes stuck in the up position. I don't miss it at all and am glad that I won't be paying another $35 to have the mechanic lower it. My advice? Stay away from using the shade. You're better off not using it at all. Best of luck to you.[8D]