General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

roof failure...is it connected to pse pump

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 12:37 PM
Default roof failure...is it connected to pse pump

hi. i have a problem with roof on my slk230 1998refusing to budge. when pressed back the switch flashes wildly, when pressed forward the switch flashes slowly and motor can be heard but there is no movement.
my pse pump has failed and i am wondering if the fault with roof is connected to this.
thanks for any replies, john

Old 01-16-2008, 03:58 PM
Default RE: roof failure...is it connected to pse pump

It is possible that one of the roof sensors is connected to the PSE and is not seeing the limit switches reach their opening or closing points. First thing I would check though is to see if the failure of the PSE was the result of misalignment of the trunk lid/damagedtrunk seal,which could cause water to leak into the trunk and cause the pump to fail. See if you notice any water anywhere in the trunk.

Old 01-16-2008, 04:29 PM

hi thanks for your reply. i have been having trouble with the boot shutting, it doesnt seem to be going into its latches smoothly enough. yes there was plenty of water in boot (major leak) which i presume has caused the pse failure. i have just tried roof again and the windows are now coming down but thats as far as it gets.
problem is i want to sell car as soon as poss but trader is going to want to see roof in action. john

Old 01-16-2008, 08:50 PM

Reconsider selling unless the car is really "sick and dying".

I just replaced my PSE vacuum pump under the rear seat. I know the issues.

PSE pump for the central locking assembly could be your problem, if the door locks or roof hatch or trunk hatch actuators, etc, haveproblemsand caused the PSE pump to overload and can not be reset by fuses out and back in. I found that my issue was not the PSE locking pump, but another vacuum manifold distribution block or related check valve, which caused the PSE pump to run all the time until it failed. I fixed that problem and all is now well.

Try the battery offline or fuses out for a few minutes. See what happens. Recheck the error codes and let us know.

Old 01-16-2008, 10:49 PM

Hi,

Oh dear. A bit like Bill states you could be in for a bumpy ride. Are we talking R170 SLK?

The key here is why do you have a trunk water leak. Rear end damage / repair?. Poor adjustment of the trunk lid? History would be useful.

Next problem is the PSE. It fails due to water ingress from CONDENSATION into the unit/module. If you have water sloshing about in the trunk then the leak has to be fixed first. You will have undoubtedly be suffering from condensation in the unit / connector.

The variomatic hood is not linked to any PSE "sensors". However the PSE takes it power from the same source and problems with the PSE could be interrupting this power supply. However your flashing operating button and the noise of the pump suggests that the circuit is powered OK.

As another post states there are limit switches governing the travel of the hood anda key one determines whether the blind in the boot is in the correct position. It is located under the lining on the RHS of the trunk. You need to remove the lining to get to it. using a pen or similar you should be able to operate this switch with the blind in the stowed position. Can you hear the switch "click" as it operates? If you can it may still not be working electrically. This switch prevents the hood being stowed since if the blind is not sensed to be in the correct position luggage MAY be obstructing the stowage space.

So where next.

Why does the trunk not shut correctly. Why does it leak?? A number of buffers and an adjustable hasp exist to correct this situation. Are the drains at the forward edge of the trunk gutters clear and working? These are often clogged with pine needles and sometimes the drain tubes are trapped when the rear bumper has been fitted.

Do some investigating and come back with any specific questions.

Good luck,

Stuart

Old 01-19-2008, 01:32 PM

hi, thanks for your replies. heres an update at where i am with this wreck of a car. first of all i have managed to remove pse pump and it is corroded way beyond repair.
we replaced a blown fuse situated in boot which thankfully got theroof going fully again.
last night someone decided it would be fun to run their keys down side of car leaving me furious.
i feel like i have run out of luck with this car and with much delight will be trading it in tomorrow morning. to be honest ihavefallen out bigtime with merecedes and seriously doubt i will ever buy one again. once again thanks very much for trying to help. regards, john