General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Redline Delimiter

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 12:20 AM
Default Redline Delimiter

Rented a new 06 Accord from Enterprise at SJC a few days back.

On top of a few annoyances like DRL with no manual force-off, it has a rather nice feature -- Redline Delimiter.

"YEAAAAAH," I thought. "If driving beyond the redline could damage the engine, while most cars allow it in the first place?" To escape from hurricane Katrina?

During this week, I also experienced the new Avalon. This babe's got the DRL manual force-off. Buttons on the remote key fob are soooo small, I -- a 30-yr old male monkey with a 20/20 vision -- have trouble identifying the buttons. What's up Toyota? Don't build this car like an after-market car stereo made for 16-yr olds. Avalon is for older crowd that calls for big buttons. The guy who desgined the remote should be hung.

Back to the topic, I think all cars (except the "sports" designated ones) deserve the Redline Delimiter.

Old 01-28-2006, 12:52 AM
Default RE: Redline Delimiter

I believe all OBDII cars have a rev limiter. Probably OBDI as well. All new cars have them.

For other cars, there are simple add-ons that limit revs. I have one on my Chevelle. Cars that run on nitrous need one to prevent melt downs so they usually are included in nitrous packages.

Anyway, yours has a rev limiter.

Old 01-28-2006, 01:42 AM

In ObII cars, at least BMWs the redline limiter can be shut off. I had my shut off with a download from Dinan a factorty authorized BMW tuner. IMHO, it made no difference at all. And there is a very real danger of blowing up your engine. The car makers don't put these things on engines for ha, ha's

Old 01-28-2006, 02:08 AM
Super Moderator

My Harley has a rev limiter. With the engine build I did, it has been tested once or twice. Really a good idea considering the cost of a blown motor. NHRA fuel cars are speed governed by a simular system. 8500rpm limit this year I think.

Old 01-28-2006, 02:39 AM

I didn't say manufacturers put rev limiters on cars for "ha has." Where did that come from?

Any OBDII rev limiter can be adjusted by a tuner's programming. It's just a numeric value in a table entry.

I don't know why you "shut off" the one on your BMW. That makes no sense. Of course it made no difference.

On the other hand, if you installed high-performance heads and cam and bigger fuel injectors and higher fuel pressure with perfromance ECU tuning, then you'd want to raise the rev limiter to take advantage of all the performance enhancements.

In any case, you still want a rev limiter. I never said you don't.