General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Rear Shocks on 96 S600

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 06:51 PM
Default Rear Shocks on 96 S600

HELP!

I have a 96 S600 in bad need of rear shocks. The car has ADS and automatic leveling. I would like to delete these features and install standard good shocks. Can anyone tell me if this is an easy job or am I just asking for trouble. If there was someone in my local area (Niagara Falls) who could do a proper repair on the existing set up I
would be interested. The local St Catharines dealer wants outrageous sums for the repair.

Any help would be appreciated.........Bill 905-382-0140

Old 06-09-2007, 07:30 AM
Default RE: Rear Shocks on 96 S600

When my two rear accumulators went bad, I had the same thought, as they cost about $100 each and a real pain to replace. So I found at http://www.strutmasters.com rear conversion kits for Mercedes S-Class vehicles, $400, that provides two shocks with springs. The springs are needed as the MB cars with ADS/self leveling have different primary suspension springs so you can not just switch out the shocks from ADS to standard shocks. I installed the kit, but did not like it as for my early 90s S class, the shock springs rubbed against the primary suspension springs. The install was semi challenging as the kit shocks are extended to full length due to the springs and thus were a bit tough to compress and get into the mounting brackets on the car. These aftermarket shock kits did seem to be good quality Monroe shocks and springs. So I removed the kit, reinstalled the factory struts,and then did thetimely accumulators replace. If I had to do it again, I would stay with the factory setup, although the factory ADS struts are almost $600 each. The ADS/self leveling design on MB cars is very good if everything is working right.

But, I have this shock conversion kit if you would like to try it. I assume they will fit your later 90s model S class better. You can have them for free if you pay for the shipping(probably would be $50 or so).

Old 06-09-2007, 08:30 AM
Default RE: Rear Shocks on 96 S600

Sounds good and thank you for your generous offer.

My email address is nomad@iaw.on.ca I am in Canada but very close to the border and have a Buffalo NY shipping address. How about you send me a Paypal invoice for the shipping to 14212 Buffalo. When I receive the shocks I will have my son in law install them and if it works out I will send you 200.00 so recover something from your investment. If they do not work out I will put them on ebay for you and forward you the proceeds. OK?

Thanks again...........Bill Filek