General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Radiator leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 08:16 AM
Default Radiator leak

Please help. Yesterday my low level radiator light came on. I had it filled. Today the low level light is on and liquid was under the car where the radiator is. Will Stop Leak do it?

Old 07-13-2007, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Radiator leak

Probably not..... Can you see exacly where it is leaking? Is it a crack? is it in the coil? A radiator shop may be able to weld a break in the coil. Or if the crack is in the housing, I have seen people sand the area and apply a patch made of epoxy and fibreglass fabric that has lasted for years. Good luck.

Blue

Old 07-13-2007, 10:37 AM

Blue - Thanks for the input. I'll get my nephew to take a look and see if he can find the leak and patch it for me. I have to drive about 600 miles this weekend - so I am hoping that the stop leak will hold it till Monday. Do you think it will hurt anything in the radiator to use the stop leak temporarily?

Old 07-13-2007, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator

It is ok until you can have it looked at professionally. It wont hurt anything unless you keep adding and adding, while never getting the problem fixed. It is just a bandaid to postpone the repair, not a permanent cure.
Best case,would be a new radiator, but I have seen some excellent repair work lately. As a matter of fact, Ithink its a waste to throw a radiator out because of a minor leak. A repair is almost as common as repairing a tire. But it does depend on the location of the leak.If its cracked incertain placeswhere a joint is formed, it may have to be repalced.

Best wishes

Blue

Old 07-13-2007, 02:28 PM

Blue - I took it to my lube place and the guys showed me a spot on the raditor coils that has a brownish round spot on it. I am just going to have to find the leak eventually and have it repaired as you suggested. I really appreciate the input. Wish me an unevenful trip this weekend!! Thanks.

Old 07-13-2007, 10:27 PM

Trudy,

Your best bet is to contact radiator barn in Jacksonville, Florida upon your return and get a new radiator. If you use stop leak, I would replace the thermostat when you replace your radiator.

Mark

Old 07-13-2007, 11:03 PM

Your Mercedes radiator leak may be come from a crack.I agree to Blue Silver,I also think its a waste to throw a radiator out because of a minor leak.But then check the condition of your radiator.If it isnt too bad,a good repair will do help.

Old 07-16-2007, 04:25 PM

Here is an update: Unsure exactly where the leak is from - I switched vehicles with my brother and drove his SUV on my long weekend trip. He looked at my radiator while I was gone and drove the mercedes. The Bar's Stop Leak did the trick! It appears that the leak is in the radiator coil. I will take the advise of Blue and Redmansioner and have the radiator repaired at the earliest chance I get. Thanks for the input!