General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

problem whit 400cdi

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 04:38 PM
Default problem whit 400cdi

I have problems whit my 400cdi, sometimes when i accelerate hardly the car goes in safe mode...
Mercedes tells fault codes p2024 -008 -128 those mean something about EGR-valve....but valve seems to be OK
So who could help me???

Old 01-04-2006, 07:34 PM
Default RE: problem whit 400cdi

EGR's are part of the pollution system. I am not familiar with your car, according to the year, all pollution devices come under a special warranty of 80K miles and I think 10 years. Whichever comes first. They are vacuum and exhaust gas operated and there is a diaphragm, on one side that you should be able to push in and it should release on it own, usually that is where the problem is the diahragm gets carbon'd up over the years. I had an Audi once, and the dealer told me the EGR had to be replaced. When I went to pick up the car that afternoon, they were able to clean it and I didn't have a problem with it for the year I had the car before I sold it. We owned that car for 11 years, and it lasted 10, deler cleaned it and it was OK. First question to asked, what is wrong with it and can it be cleaned? If they say no, seek a second opinion. As I remember there not cheap. If you know where it is on your car and can get at it see if there is a diahragm, as I am not sure they all are designed the same, it there is try what I suggested. If it sticks try spraying it with some carb cleaner and move the diahragm in and out.

Old 01-04-2006, 11:39 PM
Super Moderator

was that E-Class, S-Class or M-Class?

i assume S-Class and here's the answer anyway:

[IMG]local://upfiles/1/7E87B0ADC06A4DFC89EAB6BCB2683957.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-04-2006, 11:39 PM
Super Moderator

continuation..........

[IMG]local://upfiles/1/4580228274344982937987B0EB553260.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-05-2006, 06:59 PM

Yes it is S-class... 2200281A219598....
Thank a lot! I try to fix that whit your advises.
You seem to know lot of things, so i ask two questions more!
1.Front suspension passenger side: Lousy damping force (only 10%) is there some adjustment for compression/rebound or should i buy new one? (no oil leaks)
2.How to engage preheater(webasto) whitout starting the car, i have tried to engage the heater from OBC but cannot go to heater menu.
Do i need some updates or what?

What means send all defective exthaus gas actuators to warranty testing point? (for testing?)
(or Is there still warranty)

Thanks allready for your answer!

Old 01-05-2006, 11:04 PM
Super Moderator

1.Front suspension passenger side: Lousy damping force
the car uses airmatic suspension. no adjustments necessary because it got it's own level sensor. if it is leaking or making noise, then you got to replace it.
it's the first time i heard of this problem. it can only happen if there was some internal failure such as leaks in piston or internal gas chamber.
before deciding on replacing such expensive parts, better ask second opinion from the expert workshop.

2.How to engage preheater(webasto) whitout starting the car, i have tried to engage the heater from OBC but cannot go to heater menu.
you mean with ignition off? did it comes with the operation manual? there must be no preset activation time in the instrument (yellow indicator lamp in the switch not on). you simply push the switch on top area and the green light comes on. try pushing it for longer than 2 seconds.
the stationary heater is an independent system and i don't think an update is necessary.

What means send all defective exthaust gas actuators to warranty testing point? (for testing?)
(or Is there still warranty)
it was under service measure before but they must have closed that. if your car is still under warranty, then it is still valid. (your car is 08/05/2001)

Old 01-06-2006, 04:57 AM

[quote]ORIGINAL: sleepwalker

1.Front suspension passenger side: Lousy damping force
the car uses airmatic suspension. no adjustments necessary because it got it's own level sensor. if it is leaking or making noise, then you got to replace it.
it's the first time i heard of this problem. it can only happen if there was some internal failure such as leaks in piston or internal gas chamber.
before deciding on replacing such expensive parts, better ask second opinion from the expert workshop.

That fault came up in yearly check control were they test cars. They put a car to machine what makes vibration
(pump up/downsuspension rreally fastly) Is there any chance..when car is not moving so airmaticsystem do not reconice damping??

you mean with ignition off? did it comes with the operation manual? there must be no preset activation time in the instrument (yellow indicator lamp in the switch not on). you simply push the switch on top area and the green light comes on. try pushing it for longer than 2 seconds.
the stationary heater is an independent system and i don't think an update is necessary.

I mean just that: how to preheat my car at morning when i here is -26celsius?
Now that heater engage only when i start a car....

Thanks!

Old 01-06-2006, 05:12 AM
Super Moderator

That fault came up in yearly check control were they test cars
and what fault they say that was?

how to preheat my car at morning when i here is -26celsius?
Now that heater engage only when i start a car....
you need to preset the timer to a certain time. once that yellow lamp is on, the timer is set.

Old 01-12-2006, 03:17 PM

How to engage heaterbooster(webasto) whitout starting the car, i have tried to engage the heater from OnBoardComp. there is no heater menu. so how to engage that...?? sorry maybe stupid question...
How about airmatic repair?

thanks!

Old 01-13-2006, 03:55 AM
Super Moderator

are you from finland or somewhere?

seems you got problem understanding my english.

all has been discussed already.

Quick Reply: problem whit 400cdi