General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

please help 190E is killing me

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 05:57 PM
Default please help 190E is killing me

hello everyone,

is something wrong with my 1989 190E 2.6 liter Benz.. last week i replaced the alternator because my battery left me stranded in the middle of the highway I 190 in niagara falls , NY. i replaced the alternator and its already one week my battery left me again 2 hours ago[] .. car has new alternator.. please anyone help me .. do i have wiring problems now..
what to chekc for .. what is going on ..????

note !! ( car doesnt have a system so that would kill the alternator )

[IMG]local://upfiles/7055/13024444017943F5B88589BCF674FEFA.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-14-2006, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: please help 190E is killing me

did you check the charging system.

was there more than 12 volts with engine running, lights on and a/c on? (but must be less than 15 volts).

check for current drain. attach ammeter on the battery and turn off the engine and all accessories. how much was the reading?

maybe you got battery problem? how old is your battery? was it self discharging?

Old 07-14-2006, 09:59 PM

hey sleepwalkser,

thank you for replying.. well it might be battery problem as you stated in your thread, to be honest with you i dont know how old the battery is , when i bought the car last year at this time it came with that battery.. the thing is that the car was driving and that all in a sudden the abs light came on ( thats what i could see) the radio turning back off and on by it self .. and buuummm.. righh there the car shut off ( left me stranded in the middle of the intersection..) so please any other info on what to do is really appreciated..

thanks

Old 07-14-2006, 10:43 PM
Super Moderator

Sometimes when the battery gets old, it will not take a charge.

Also the battey has to be fully charged before driving. The altenator on this car is designed only to maintain the battery, not charge it from dead zero.

If the battery IS the case, I seriously recommend spending the extra twenty bucks and getting the Mercedes brand battery.

If you go to a non-mercedes store, and they offer you a battery with a "seep fitting" for a hose, DON"T buy it. It will leak-out sulfuric acid fumes and rust your computer and engine compartment.

You know, I bought a great little Black and decker battery-charger at WalMart with a built-in battery diagnosis feature.

Check your battery cables and connectors. Matter of fact, take them off and inspect them. I had a car that went CRAZY on me, and we spent all week looking for the problem. Finally, on the under-side of an otherwise perfect looking cable, we saw it was shorting-out against a peice of metal.

Good luck

Charles

Old 07-15-2006, 05:00 PM

hello guys,

well the same issue again in the morning i start the car, drove it for like 10 miles and buummmm right there battery dead again.. bought a new battery is runing again.. well i know will die by tomorrow noon again.. so if anyone could help me what to do .. car has new alternator and battery.. i did a battery test to autp zone ( parts supply store ) and the test result said good battery puting out 12.3 volt.. well i have another qstns for all of you now. this problem started since i replaced this unit ( for nothing was wrong with the old one, i had a spare one and trying to get more hands on for this car) .. and i was wondering what this thing is for .. that might be a faulty one causing all this nightmare for me.. ??? look at the pcitures ( the silver box below the black one) what is its role and what does it due for the car?? this box is located in the floor area of the front passanger seat under the carpets..

[IMG]local://upfiles/7055/D568D147F2DB43D4BD4B513FC301C46C.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/7055/74B2289A7E814F1AA85E8E2AEA47C576.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-16-2006, 10:16 AM

hello guys,

the brand new battery is dead again.. please help me what is going on with this little benz.. has new alternator and new battery.. the cables seem ok too.. tight and not corroted in the heads.. what should i do now , what should i check for .. the car is seatcing again in my drive way.. any help greatly appreciated...

Old 07-16-2006, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator

give me the part number and VIN of your car.

disconnect it fist for the meantime.

Old 07-16-2006, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator

Please tell me where you are buying your parts.

The aftermarket "junk" stores around here have a reputation of serving parts with a 50% chance of being defective, so you may be only increasing your own problems.

I think your next concern is to determine whether the altenator is actually working. Try this straight to the point test; start the car, let it idle, then disconnect the positive battery terminal. If the car shuts off immediately your altenator is NOT working. Once started, the car should run on the altenator power, without the battery.

So far, my Mercedes dealer has a 100% record of providing good parts, and believe me I know because I buy lots of them.

At least you have an older model like my 190. My new CLK has proven to be a rediculous joke, with more major repairs than my old FORD mustang ever had. The only reason I keep pumping money into it is because I like the body style. It needs expensive STAR diagnostic service AGAIN, and I hope the hell they don't try to sell me another car because that would evoke an unpleasant public reaction from me. Consider that sale dead; I'm going to try somthing else next time, when this peice of crap needs a new engine at 100k.

Like I said, at least you have an older model, with a more reliable computer system.

B

Old 07-20-2006, 09:35 PM

hey guys,
thank you all for replying, i havent had a chance to reply you all cause of some internet issues, but now i am back on the line, well anyway i have ordered another alternator from some other auto distributor part supplier so lets see what happens after i install it , i will do all tests you guys have sugessted me to do and will keep all updated.. hopefully saturday will have a chance to replace the thing..

Old 07-21-2006, 09:37 PM

hey guys,

my other new alternator arrived today .. well here is the deal.. today when i was checking the new alternator besides 2 connections that it has B+ and D+ it has another male plug with a plus aside ( picture included) which i dont know what that is for.. I am guessing that might be the problem as i looked at my other alternator still sitting in the car and in that plug is nothing connected cause i can not find anything to plug on it ( maybe when i replaced the old alternator i forgot to plug it or something, but i cant see anything - plug that i missed though) .. could you guys help me what that thing is for .. look at the pictures and i marked the thing with arrow for what i am talking about...

[IMG]local://upfiles/7055/165694573DE04A37B4A7C2F32F02335E.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/7055/D0219BE1F46E4425BF134A229ECD7A2E.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/7055/E95538C2AE05473982E996997046B86C.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/7055/3A1E92610E6E493A8C1A4D74752C7BA7.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/7055/73386FCB6DB64237AF8CFB7FF97B1B23.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: please help 190E is killing me