General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

P Code Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 07:18 PM
Default P Code Question

Can anyone suggest a fix for ODBII Code P0410 Secondary Air Injection System Malfunction? If I clear the code I can run the car between 2k-4k Miles before it will reappear with the same P Code. I checked the vacuum hoses all appears ok. Car runs fine with a little lean trim to -2%, which doentseem to out of the ordinary.

Thanks in advanced. Andrew
1999 Mercedes Benz 140K

Old 09-26-2007, 01:39 AM
Default RE: P Code Question

P0410 Secondary Air Injection System Malfunction = Secondary Air Injection Pump NOT WORKING (most likely).

Pump location depends on engine type / age etc.

Usually electric and often mounted in V at front of engine.

Works during start up to inject air into exhaust to "warm up" catalyst quickly in order to maximise effectiveness of catalysts downstream.

If electric check motor runs by applying suitable power source. Likely fuse somewhere in the system has blown which will be dependent upon model etc. Fuse may have blown because motor has seized...or is starting to. Mileage?

Stuart

Stuart.

Old 09-26-2007, 08:45 AM

Stuart, thanks for your response. I checked the connections and confirmed that it runs at engine start (cold). I had assumed that may be the culprit so I have been watching it. The CELilluminateswhile driving,so I am not sure what triggers that event. I assume the Secondary Air Pump is off already while driving.

Is there a way to manually cycle it on to verify it is operating other then external power after removal? I have 140000 Miles on the 99 C280, if I turn off the CEL (clear codes) I can run it between 300 miles and 5000 miles before it reappears. I suppose it is possible that it is an intermittent issue on the air pump. Thank You.

Old 09-27-2007, 12:28 AM

Looks like an intermittant problem. Motor brush contact or similar.

Why not connect an indicator bulb across the pump supply and position it within the cockpit. Observe each time the car is started whether the bulb lights up. You may establish a correlation. However this will not tell you whether the pump fails to start when power is supplied.

140k is a fair life so maybe its getting tired since it operates every time the vehicle is started.

Sure there are no other codes stored?

Stuart

Old 09-28-2007, 06:21 AM

Have you had you car at the dealership for ANY SERVICE REASON IN THE LAST 30-60 DAYS?

I have heard of them putting 20-30 pin size holes in the hoses and you cannot see them but the vacume is so strong that the sensor will pick it up and when you take it in they will tell you that you need to replace parts that are not defective, i would take each hose off individually and inspect them by placing a plastic bag over one end or the hose and duct taping the bag so it will not leak at all and thenrun VERY HOT WATER in the hose, i think you will be supprised at what you find..