General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Oxygen Sensor Fault code

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 02:18 AM
Default Oxygen Sensor Fault code

I'm new to this forum, and ask for your advise. I have a 2001 C320 with 78K Ml, the problem is after start when its cold, the car just stalls for first 3-5 min before its warming, diagnostic shows a 'P0134 code'. I have been reading in General Tech that it's "O2 Sensor Circuit No Activity Detected (Bank 1 Sensor 1)". If that is O2 sensor problem then which one of them fault, on the left or right? Please help, appreciate any advice.

Old 12-12-2008, 12:49 AM
Default RE: Oxygen Sensor Fault code

Bank 1 Sensor 1 = RHS nearest the engine (manifold).

Code shows you likely have an Open Circuit (no activity detected) on the sensor.
Locate the sensor (you will likely have to remove the undertray to gain a clear view. Trace the wires from this sensor to the firewall.
Is the plug and socket (for removal purposes) fully pushed home? Unplug, inspect connection and reconnect. Not sure where the connector is in your system but likely within about 12" from sensor and possibly clipped to firewall..
Are the wires undamaged or could they have touched the manifold / downpipe etc?

Yes you could go ahead and change the sensor but since the one on the other side is OK (I assume) you have to ask why its failed.
O2 sensors are very reliable except they don't like contaminants. Since the one on the other side is OK it doesn't look like it has been contaminated.
Yes they can go (many people change these ***** nilly when in reality there is noting wrong). Of course the sensor COULD be bad.

I (very cost conscious) would get a garage with a "proper" scanner to look at the sensor waveform and voltage before spending my money. This check only takes a few moments and should confirm whether in fact there is no output / input to the sensor BEFORE you spend your money.
Changing the sensor is straigtforward so long as you have the correct (ring) spanner etc. Sensors could be VERY tight,. Use antisieze when replacing but take great care wrt to any getting near the sensor.

It is possible that something upstream of the O2 sensor connection is at fault. i.e. ECU connection

If you change the sensor only use genuine Bosch parts designed fior your make and model (i.e. not generic parts that may need wiring connection changes)

Please advise outcome.

Stuart.

Old 12-12-2008, 02:14 AM
Default RE: Oxygen Sensor Fault code

Thanks for advise, on coming weekend will do like you sad and check the connection first, will inform you with results.Thanks again