General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

oil/filter change and now wont start

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 01:50 PM
Default oil/filter change and now wont start

Hi all!

I was performing a oil and filter change on my MB c200 -98 today but I only managed to remove the filter and as I was about to remove the drain plug I realised that it was to rusty and I would not be able to remove it at the time. So i lowered the car and refitted the filter with the right Nm.

I then started the car and it took a while (about 2 secs) and then it started and ran normal for about 30 secs and I shut it down. I then tried to start it again but the start engine only ran for 5 secs and then dead, tried this about 5 times with the same outcome. I did not do any other mechanical procedures nor did I (i think) touch any other things while doing this, cant believe this is happening.

Very grateful for any help I can get, anybody got a hint what my problem is?

Old 09-26-2007, 01:14 AM
Default RE: oil/filter change and now wont start

Fuel pump requires oil pressure to keep it running once auto start procedure ends. However loss of a filters worth of oil shouldn't make any difference UNLESS oil level was already VERY low.

Lack of fuel?

Water in fuel? Did you start whilst jacked up?

Coincidence.

Stuart

Old 09-26-2007, 04:32 AM

The dipstick shows that the oil level is more to the max side then min so it should be just fine.

I have about half a tank of fuel and poured in some stp injection cleaner, however I drove the car the whole day before I attempted this procedure and everything was ok. Not quite sure how water could have entered the fuel tank, i didnt put any in so I guess there is none. Didnt start while it was jacked either :\

Thank you for your help

Old 09-26-2007, 10:45 AM

Was checking the car again today and noticed something. I think you could hear a sucking/pressure noise when you inserted the key and turned on the ignition (but not the engine), not sure but I think you could. Now however you can't hear anything of that kind, just a fast tick from behind somewhere when you turn the key. Should you be able to hear the fuel pump or something when you turn the key?

Old 09-26-2007, 08:11 PM

I'd like to know how you resolved the problem, I have a 1997 C230 with 103 k miles on the clock, it has been serviced regularly by the Mercedes dealer since new, the car does not start anymore, it wasrunning well until both my remote keys stopped working, I manually opened the doors and tried to start the car but with no success, I called the Mercedes emergency service and they told me to point the remote key to the rear view mirror and activate the green light but this did not work as well.Please Help!

Old 09-27-2007, 12:21 AM

Water would have come from contamination in fuel that you have added. I'm quite sure you didn't add it!

So why did you add the STP or whatever...were you having some sort of problem?

Looks like it must just be coincidence.

Next step. Listen for the pump running. Better still check fuel pressure on the injector rail on top of the engine. There is a schraeder valve to connect a guage to.

Stuart.

Old 09-27-2007, 01:05 AM

You should be able to hear the pump, although it only suns for a short period unless the engine starts (safety)

Since you have other electrical problems are you sure you battery is OK. It cranks OK? If you crank it with the headlamps on do they dim significantly?

If the pump is not running there can be several causes. Most likely is the fuel pump relay. You don't state model / age etc.

Is your service history up to date. There is a fuel pressure regulator in the fuel filter.... common cause of low fuel pressure which results in no start.

However oil pressure switch, Electronic Ignition switch and assorted other issues can cause the same symptoms.

Stuart

Old 09-27-2007, 09:52 AM

bharatva: Yes I will keep you posted on how it turns out.

snanceki: I didn't add the STP for any reason really, just saw it at the gas station and thought that it could be good to add it so it cleans the system a bit. Could it be that some dirt in the tank god loose due to the STP and the car being jacked up and down and is now clogged somewhere? Would it be clogged in the fuel filter then? But the pump would still start even if it were clogged, right?

I honestly can't hear the pump running (listening from outside the car, don't have anybody that can start the car for me while im down there atm) and I am sure I could before. I will check out that pressure test you were talking about.

I don't have any electrical problems, that was my bad sorry. The windows auto function was actin up due to me disconnecting the battery, the battery is pretty new and going strong. The car cranks as it should and the lights don't dim too much.

My service history is in order but I think that the filter could be renewed, shall I try with this first, could it solve my problem?

Can I test the pump and the relay in any way for example with a multimeter? I did a visual check on the relay and it seemed ok, is there any way to know for sure if the relay is working fine? Are you reffering to the model and age of the pump or the car?

Thank you kindly Stuart your posts are VERY appreciated and helpful!

Old 09-27-2007, 09:10 PM

you say it starts and then stalls ???? if so i would look for a vac. hose or wire that may have been disturbed while changing the filter........

Old 09-28-2007, 06:29 AM

check the tightness of the filter, depending on the model that you have there are several sensors in the ara of the filter and with that wrench the way you have to twist i to tighten the filter it would be very easy to crack a sensor or even break one off alltogether, lift the car and use a HIGH POWER LIGHT to look at the surrounding area. look for wires with clips on the end that are not attached to anything

Quick Reply: oil/filter change and now wont start