General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Noise in the engine area

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 01:19 AM
Default Noise in the engine area

HI, i have a 1998 ML320; my check engine light went on and i get a popcorn type sound near the engine or near the timing belt area... anyone know what it may be...if i dont drive the car for a day the noise seems to go away then if i drive for a bit the popping noise comes back... i have 81k miles on it.. any help appreciated. is it safe for me to drive it to my mechanic about 20 miles? should i take surface streets, not the the freeway; a mechanic told me without seeing it timing belt may come off and you would lose steering control so i got afraid to drive it the my mechanic... i know i shouldnt take freeway but what about local streets in case something bad happens i can just stop and pull over right? or should i just get it towed and not risk it. please note i had put automatic transmission fluid in my power steering tank a day before i did overflow it and put to much. DId this cause this or just a coincidence. thanks

Old 07-17-2008, 12:55 AM
Default RE: Noise in the engine area

Get somebody who is familiar with cars to try to define the problem more accurately.
Could be many things dependent upon the type of noise. Seriousness depends on fault.
Inadequate info to even hazard a guess...a least one that is worth a dime.
If you are worried, don't drive.

If the drive belt snaps you loose all services, power steer, alternator, engine cooling etc. Although the loss of these systems is an issue, engine overheat and flat battery they SHOULD NOT be dangerous since a belt can snap at any moment for a number of reasons and the manufacturer has engineered the car to be safe. However the sudden loss of power steer can cause a driver to panic and believe the steering has jammed etc when in reality it has just gone very heavy in comparison to normal effort. Likewise if it fails on a curve this could mean that you fail to make the curve because you panic.
Unfortunately in the States you are always looking for ":Who is responsible"

So I repeat, the decision must be yours.
Stuart