General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

No fuel to engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 09:50 AM
Default No fuel to engine

Hi there,
I just bought a 1976 450SL. VIN 10704412029857. It has been sitting for 3 years with out running. The guy I bought it from bought it not running. The Odometer registers 126k. He says he has started the car by using starter fluid (yuck) and by force feeding gas. He thinks the fuel pump it out.The car was just delivered last night & I havent looked at anything yet-I am asking you before I touch it.
1.)What do I need to do to check the fuel pump function?
2.)How do I check function for the fuel pump relay.
3.)What else do I need to check to find out why gasoline insn't getting from the tank to the engine?
4.)Where is the fuel filter?
5.)I have been told the wiring in these cars can be problematic under the hood due to heat.Is this a likely issue?
6.)How is the best way to drain the gas tank so I can get that old gas out?

PS...I have access to a multimeter, and test lights but am NOT veryproficient with electrical diag and will need a detailed answer including where to set the dial on this non digital multimeter (ohms or volts and what that symbol looks like on the meter ).
Thanx,
Gary Z

Old 07-05-2008, 10:23 PM
Default RE: No fuel to engine

Some quick info that might help.

The best way to see if the fuel pump is getting power is to charge the battery and turn the key to run. You should hear the fuel pump humming. It will be very faint and you might have to get under the car to hear it. If no hum then there is no power or it is shot.

The underhood heat on these cars is a real thing to deal with. I have seen the paint blistered off the hoods on 1975 and 1976 450SL cars. The heat comes from the thermal reactors that are bolted to the ends of the ezaust manifolds. If your engine is running too rich the unburned gasoline is burned in the reactors and they can glow red due to the heat.

If you look under the hood and do not see a big can looking thing on either side of the engine then someone has taken them off and replaced them with earlier or later manifolds.

Removing these is not always legal as they are part of the emmisions systems. Check with your state on this as laws vary from state to state and some will let you remove emission controls after so many years.

Sam

Old 07-23-2008, 01:07 AM
Default RE: No fuel to engine

Would Fuel Pressure Regulator be a suspect also?
Heard they could seize for prolonged inoperation.

Old 08-13-2011, 03:04 PM

I have just tried starting my 77 SL and another fuel pump not working. The pump is good, works with 12V power lead. Is there a relay?