General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 01:24 PM
Default Newbie

Hello all, I'm new to the forum and looking forward to getting involved. I my way home tonight my CLK200 went in the huff. When I opend the bonnet I was met with a pudle of Transmission Fluid all over the place. I discovered one of the pipes leaking. So in order to get home I telephone my local garage for assistance. They came out to recover me but found that my car was too low to get onto the recovery truck....so next best thing was to put fluid into the transmission and see if it would engage to drive me home. Well, that lasted for about 12 miles by which time that too had drained out. So, we gave it another 3 bottles of fluid and she drove me a further 6 miles....then another 3 bottles of fluid and she got me home. My question is this: How must transmission fluid does it take to fill it up? (no dip stick to check the level. When I enquired for one at my local 150 mile round trip Merc Garage, they told me you dont have one as its got a sealed cap on it....you bring it to us to check) as my nearest Merc Garage is a 150 miles round trip its not easy for me to check this for me.....anyway back to my question: The car is on a Y plate CLK 200 ... all I need to know is how much fluid I put into the transmission box.

Thanks all

Old 10-19-2007, 01:09 AM
Default RE: Newbie

Hi,

You obviously has a difficult journey home!

How much oil is required depends on how much is left.
The system is fitted with a sealed cap to stop tampering but you must have already discarded this to get additional oil into the trans. (I assume we are talking Auto)
Several posts exist regarding changing the oil and in particular how to make a home made dipstick from curtain spring to achieve what you are trying to do.
Oil level and how it is measured is VERY important.
Search for member Bazzle since he is the expert on this subject.

Stuart