General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

new to forum please help! suspension & ventilation questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 04:48 PM
Default new to forum please help! suspension & ventilation questions

Hello,
I am new to this forum so please excuse me if I am asking a question that has been asked before. I searched but I did not find what I was looking for.

Firstly I have '99 Sl500 with 245 tires(width) in the front and it tracks like crazy is there some sort of steering stabilizer that can be put on to keep it from following the ruts on the road? My mechanic says that I should change the shocks and springs but it seems to be more than that, I had a '72 Pantera with no power steering and it wasn't as bad as this.

Secondly, I have '99 E320 4matic wagon and the heater blower doesn't seem to be blowing very much I replaced all of the in cabin filters (charcoal, etc) to no avail.

Ps the blower is working,I can hear it and can slightly feel it but it is not very strong. my other car feels like a hairdryer in comparison.

thanx in advance for any help.

Valerio

Old 01-22-2008, 01:40 AM
Default RE: new to forum please help! suspension & ventilation questions

Wish i could help but there are too many unknowns.
How bad, compared to what etc etc etc.

Mmm.
Firstly you need to ensure that all of the front suspension is in good order.
Tyres. Even wear. correct geometry etc?
Lower ball joints. In good repair?
Mileage?
Is rack getting a bit loose. Any rattle?
European cars are designed to give a lot of road feedback. Maybe you are more used to less feedback. With a Pantera with no PAS I guess you just aren't use to Euro spec,.
best bet is to get a ride in a similar car and see if yours is the same or different.

Stuart.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:58 PM

Everything seems to be fine except the upgraded wheel and tire size(245-45-18 I think, the car is in storage so I can't verify, but I am 90% sure). The car currently has 145,000 km on it which is about 90,000 miles. I've had a few benzes before and it is not an issue with not being accustomed to a european car. My secretary has a '92 sl500 with the original 15" wheels and it doesn't bounce around like this one. I really have to work hard to keep it straight on a rough road. On a smooth highway it drives perfectly straight and true. Is there an aftermarkek steering damper available?

Old 01-29-2008, 01:37 AM

Strongly suspect wheels and tyres are the source of your problem.
Still not possible to add much. However...
Is the offset on these non standard wheels is different from standard (where did they come from?) then this is likely the problem.

Offset directly impacts steering feedback whilst also potentially causes the vehicle the be unstable in emergency braking/cornering conditions since the logic in the various safety computers is compromised somewhat.

If the wheels are out from the centreline more than normal (i.e. increased offset) this increases the offset of tyre ground contact from the steering axis. if a wheel hits a bump/line etc the moment into the steering is greater.

18" wheels look great but at what price?

Stuart