General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Need serious help with my 190

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator
Default Need serious help with my 190

Hi everyone,

As you may already know, I began a serious attempt to restore my beloved 190E 2.6. I have encountered yet another problem. Please help if you can; I am about $5500, US into the FI and the car still is having problems. I need someone with expertise in the 190 2.6to help. I have purchased drawings and instructions, which are completely obscure, rediculous and asinine, keeping the needed information completely secret. Thank goodness for Mawbs making an excellenthand drawing of the vacuum linesfor me.I gave theMerecedes Star moble service a blank check to fix the car, thinking this is the motive for the obscurity, and yet the man they sent could not find the problem either. So I am about to have a mental breakdown.

All fuel components from the fuel cell to the last injector have been replaced with brand new MB parts, except the fuel regulator and the fuel accumulator, which are testing fine. Yet the car will not run.

Compression: 150 all six.
fuel at start: over 100lbs.
fuel at regulator 40lbs.
Ignition: huge loud sparks with audible clicking sound. Visible in full daylight when placing an extra spark plug in the wire and grounding to frame.
Start injector: sprays fuel; makes car run for 4 seconds.

Problem: No fuel coming out of injectors when I push air meter plate down. But, If I hold plate down when I turn the key on, the start-up of the fuel pumps makes fuel spray out of the injector for a second.
No fuel coming from injectors to continue the engine running after start.
Also, testing the injectors, by blowing compressed air through them, it takes at least 65 lbs. of air to get a spray. How are they supposed to spray then with a line pressure of 40 lbs. I have two entire sets of new injectors now. All are that way, even when new.

I do not know if the Lambda adjustment is correct, because I cannot even get the car to run long enough to adjust it, or find, buy, pay someone else any amountto do it.

Any suggestionsleading to the solution will be greatly rewarded.

Blue

Old 06-06-2007, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Need serious help with my 190

Ok, I hate to answer my own post, but for the record, a friend in Stuttgart just called me, the guy who is also making my stainless brackets, pointed out that the FI fuel pressure is supposed to be 78-80 lbs, NOT 40lbs. and can't believe that nobody, including me noticed that including the mobile service tech, then laughed at me and made some kind of smart comment about it. So, I will be heading out for that new regulator in the morning. I honestly hope he is right.

Blue

Old 06-06-2007, 08:22 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Need serious help with my 190

Oh, while on the subject, anyone who wants a set stainless steel injector clamps need to let me know right away.They will be just like the plain steel ones except they will run a strip ofstainlessthrough the stamping machine.

Blue