General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.
View Poll Results: Does anyone find this forum to be very helpful?
Yes
100.00%
No
0%
Sometimes but with superior attitude attached
0%
Sometimes from someone who wants to genuinely help
0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Need head gasket 240D help

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 11:07 PM
Smile Need head gasket 240D help

My 1981 240D has oil in coolant and coolant in oil. I always noticed very small droplets of oil in coolant before, but the engine always ran fine for years. After I replaced the radiator and flushed the system I immediately had a big problem, There was white smote blowing out the exhaust along with the crankcase becoming filled with coolant. The engine would pretty much run this way but rough, but I shut it down right away. I would like to try to replace the head gasket if that is a good idea where to start. Also, can anyone refer me to some great information about how to replace the gasket? Thanks

Last edited by Big Red 81; 09-26-2012 at 12:23 AM.
Old 09-23-2012, 03:12 AM
Thumbs down

If this job is beyond me I have a qualified mechanic who can help me who WILL be paid, but like other MB classic owners, I enjoy doing as much work on it myself as I can, and have been since 1992. I have also replaced a head gasket on another make of car.
I have often read the comments on this web site and usually found them to be very helpful. If anyone else reads my thread and is like minded as myself and can offer helpful comments, suggestions, or bits of advice from those who may have replaced a head gasket on a similar 240D, I would welcome them very much. But, I think I can figure out how to purchase a manual all on my own-thanks.

Last edited by Big Red 81; 09-26-2012 at 12:22 AM.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:35 PM
Thumbs down

From what I can see, the links either lead to a site where I can buy information, or only an index of information on a CD, but it does not reference anything when I click on the list. If I am missing something about this, please let me know. I did not intend any offense by my reply which was not directed at anyone in particular, but how can the reply I received not be completely obvious. This was the first time I was asking for assistance; and, after reading all of the helpful, friendly comments over the years, my introduction to this forum was your response, and was a little unexpected. And, I am proud to say I am, on average, no more or less a smartass than anybody else.
After reading through the Haynes manual, I thought I would benefit from other's experiences offering information not found in the reading, such as "Remember to (blank) before the (blank) falls into the crankcase".
I would even appreciate a little discussion about why I might have been seeing tiny droplets of oil in the radiator over the years. Would anything else explain this other than a cracked or blown head? Also, since after installing the new radiator with pressure for the first time (i didn't tighten the cap with the last one) could that explain the immediate failure of a head gasket? Also, On a long trip years ago, I did manage to let the coolant level drop way low, but the temp gauge never got into the red. Would that cause a blown head gasket? Is the head alum or steel? Believe it or not I don't know the answer to that one. Thanks, B.R.

Last edited by Big Red 81; 09-26-2012 at 12:21 AM.