General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

A must read about EvoSport

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 06:35 PM
Default A must read about EvoSport

Please read this post in its entirety. This is from my personal experience in dealing with EvoSport.

First let me tell you I had on my car before visiting EvoSport. I had conforti shark software, SS gen II headers, and grouppe N intake.

I dropped my car off a month before bimmerfest to have a VS carbon fiber roof installed with sunroof. While it was their I ask them to install their headers, GC lower control arms, differential delrin bushings, 10mm spacer for the rear, AFE intake, new “aggressive” street alignment, shock tower mount swap, and Powerchips software. I would also drop the car to them the day before Bimmerfest to have a VS-CSL with fogs front bumper installed. In total I have about almost 10,000 in parts and labor with EvoSport.

I will also mention that I warned EvoSport that I am an exacting customer and if the work I requested was not completed correctly that I would not be very happy. This was a fair and reasonable warning as I gave them the ability to refuse to work on my car.

So lets start with the first of many issues I have had with my dealings with EvoSport. Each incident will hopefully show EvoSport is a company that has a serious lack of attention to detail.

I pick up the car from EvoSport after leaving it there for an entire week having all the parts installed. I looked the car over and admire the new roof and the AFE intake. Everything seems to look good and in order. I asked about the 10 MM spacers they installed on the rear wheels to see if they check for tire clearance. (I previously had an issue with them but with the new wheel alignment I wanted to see if they would work) The owner [who will not be mentioned] said it was road tested and there was no rubbing.

I then begin the 450 mile drive back to Sacramento CA. I had no problems till I was just outside of LA. I hear what sounds like a rubbing sound. I stop and to my surprise I check the rear tires and what do I find. The tire is rubbing on the rear wheel arches. Needles to say I was upset but not overly freaked. I call the owner and left a message on his cell phone about the issue and continue on. [Remember was “supposedly” checked for no issues]

Fast-forward 5 hours till I get home. Some friends come over to look at the work done by EvoSport and notice the sunroof was not sitting in roof correctly. Granted it is an after market roof and will not be perfect but this was really bad. It was sticking way up from the roof and looked like they did not spend any time trying to fit the sunroof correctly. I completely missed this, as I was excited with the look of the CF roof on my car when I picked it up.

So I schedule an appointment the next day with my local BMW shop in Rocklin CA. This shop I absolutely trust as they fixed a previous issue I had with my car. [This is a whole another story]. I get the car there and they look over the work EvoSport has done. Fist thing they notice is flanges on the EvoSport Headers are thinker than Stock ones. They also that the connecting studs are to short for such a thick flange that the connecting nuts are no on there with the correct number of threads showing. Second they noticed that the CO2 sensor wires were not run cleanly which that shop had done previously for the prior issue [not related to this but relevant]. Third the front windshield was not OEM BMW glass. Lastly the windshield was not installed correctly according to the BMW window install tool which shows at center line the glass should be no hire then a few mm and the glass was almost 10mm high. (Reference BMW guides for this)

My trusted shop removed the 10mm spacers from the rear wheels. Then they tweaked with the sunroof panel to make it fit almost perfect with the new roof. While I was there I called EvoSport to ask about the head studs for the headers. My shop said there was a concern that it would develop leaks or come lose (more to come on this). I was put in contact with the father of the owner I had been dealing with. I explained my concern to him and I was told they have installed a lot of these and had no issues. They also used lock tight on the nuts to make sure that things would not come lose. I also mentioned to him about my frustration with the sunroof not being finished and how the front windshield was not installed correctly. The response to all my concerns and frustrations was a sales pitch about how EvoSport was the best place for service and parts. Basically it was a useless call as he was not helpful in any means.

I did not want to pay for a new OEM windshield and the labor to work on it. As I was going to be back in LA for Bimmerfest I was going to give EvoSport a chance to look at the windshield and see if they would resolve the issue.

Ok now it is time for bimmerfest. All this keep in mind has been going on in a month time frame. I drop the car off the day before Bimmerfest with EvoSport to have them look at the windshield and to have a VS-CSL front end put on. While I was not completely thrilled with EvoSport I was really left with no choice, as they had to be given a chance to fix any issue by state law. I.e. the windshield.

So VS and EvoSport work together on fitting my front bumper, which does not really fit a 2002 M3. [The reason is the mold VS for the bumper was from a real CSL M3, which has a different reinforcement than 2002 and older US M3s. AKA carbon support VS. Aluminum supports. (Please note the VS is a great company with great products, just that you need to make sure for CSL parts you have the correct setup. See turnermotorports about this).] It takes both EvoSport and VS 5 hours to figure out how to install the bumper. After the bumper is on EvoSport and their glass guy look at the windshield. Both of them said the windshield was installed correctly and there was no issues.

I pick up the car that night after having them put the bumper on and looking at the windshield. Everything looks fine to me in the dark mind you. Morning comes and I can finally get a good chance to look at the bumper. I find that the bumper does not fit to the level I was excepting. The fog lights were screwed in which means it is hard to fix the broken fog light I had from the drive down there a few weeks before. Also the bumper sits really high and there is almost no gap along the front, which is not a good thing. Again being aftermarket it will never fit perfectly but reference my previous remark on VS molds for the M3.

Ok now it is 1 week after bimmerfest and I am washing my car and notice water running down the A pillar into my car. That was the last straw. I take the car back to my shop in Rocklin and say I want the issue fixed. At this point I was going to pay to have these issued resolved.

The shop takes the trim and front windshield out. They also find when they try to take off the roof trim that it was glued down which means they have to destroy it to get it out. Once the front windshield and all the trim is off to all of our surprise we find CF roof was not installed properly. The two front corners of the roof were not epoxy down and were sticking up about 4 mm. Also the epoxy that holds the roof on was not applied in ample amounts in order for it to ooze out from under the roof to cover the full surface area.

Addressing the first issue of the front edges not being epoxy down was causing the windshield not to sit right. We also noticed that there was rust forming in those areas as there was no epoxy there as well as it was not flush to the car. I called EvoSport to let them know what we found and said this needs to be fixed or there would be serious issues. EvoSport talked to the shop owner and the tech and gave them the ok to fix the issues. (More on this in a sec) My shop rivets and epoxies the ends down, Install an OEM windshield and new trim on the roof and tested all the seals. The car no longer leaked and has not leaked ever sense then. A note shoul