General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Multiple Flat Tires & cracked rims!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2021, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Mercedes C-43 owner
I will take the blame for the firs rim I replaced but the second makes no sense. How could I damage the rear rim but not the front? I have 19:" rims and maybe the smaller rim would help - thoughts? Should i overinflate my tires?

Thank you for recommending consumers file a complaint with the NHTSA, I own a 2013 E350 4matic sedan and have had a small crack in one wheel that was repaired, however, yesterday that same wheel now has a hole in the wheel. My husband is waiting on Mercedes Benz to contact him regarding this matter.

Old 10-02-2021, 12:01 PM
Default All 4 rims cracked

I have the same problem. I have a 2019 CLS450 Base 20 inch wheels and was loosing air from front right tire. Took it to Mercedes and they told me actually all 4 rims are cracked.
-right front - 1 crack losing tire air
-left front - 1 crack not losing air
-right rear - 2 cracks not losing air
-left rear - 3 cracks losing air but slowly

I can understand maybe one or 2 rims but not all 4. Keep in mind I drive the car only on freeways so no pot holes or anything like that. Even the guys at the Mercedes dealership said it is very strange to have all 4 cracked at the same time in only 3 years. I bought new wheels for 4K but this is annoying if it will happen frequently and it seems it will.

Last edited by Mihai; 02-17-2022 at 09:32 AM.
Old 02-17-2022, 08:59 AM
Default 4 cracked rims after accident insirance denied 2027445759

Originally Posted by Panagiotis123
This is not as a result of your driving, potholes, etc. but due to a design defect with some Mercedes vehicles. I had several damaged front wheels and front tires on my 2018 E43 under typical city driving conditions at 30 MPH. This is due to the fact that the factory installed cast aluminum rims coupled with low profile stiff run-flat tires and a relatively stiff suspension result in the rims momentarily exceeding their yield strength during typical driving conditions and failing by cracking, bending and so on which usually also causes the run-flat tires to be damaged as well. This will continue to happen over and over several times per year because this is a design defect. Mercedes Benz USA refuses to address and own their design defect.

They have basically created and put in the market vehicles with wheels that cannot support the vehicle’s own gross weight under dynamic loading and under typical driving conditions. This is rather disturbing because these very marginal wheels can fail catastrophically and result in loss of life.

Anyone with a similar problem with your Mercedes vehicle please call me at 310-756-2462 and please file a complaint with the NHTSA so that we can have these defective vehicles recalled and properly repaired so that they stop damaging wheel / tire assemblies.

Peter
I have the same problem on a 2018 CLA 4 cracked rims and flats. It’s astronomical to repair $2900! Could this have happened from getting rear ended?

Old 03-30-2022, 03:09 PM
Default Class action lawsuit needed

Originally Posted by vdgeraci
# flat tires and 2 cracked rims in less than a year. Spoke with numerous other owners, same very costly issue. Found out that MB financial created insurance product for and now makes alot of money off. I am suggesting possible design defect as rims crack under normal driving conditions. Anybody else ? Please respond?
I have been a customer for over 20 years. 2017 S550 with a total of 6 cracked wheels from normal driving conditions. I have never experienced anything like it. Service manager said these wheels are made of glass.

Old 10-17-2022, 09:01 AM
Default Lady Pitts

I have three crack rims in one year. I purchased my car in 2021, a brand-new 450 E coupe and I have three cracked rims.

Old 11-29-2022, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Mihai
I have the same problem. I have a 2019 CLS450 Base 20 inch wheels and was loosing air from front right tire. Took it to Mercedes and they told me actually all 4 rims are cracked.
-right front - 1 crack losing tire air
-left front - 1 crack not losing air
-right rear - 2 cracks not losing air
-left rear - 3 cracks losing air but slowly

I can understand maybe one or 2 rims but not all 4. Keep in mind I drive the car only on freeways so no pot holes or anything like that. Even the guys at the Mercedes dealership said it is very strange to have all 4 cracked at the same time in only 3 years. I bought new wheels for 4K but this is annoying if it will happen frequently and it seems it will.

ahhh!!!! Same exact thing with me

I have a 2019 CLS450 with the 20" Multispoke AMG wheels and this car has been SUCH a headache for me. Not exagurating, every 3 months, either the RunFlat tire gets a sidewall bubble, or the rim has cracked. I have the rear rim welded for repair twice already and just last week, the same rim failed again. Now the dealership is saying that this time, it is not repairable and i need to get another rim, $1750 for one.

I am considering just replacing all my rims to the 19" OEM since I need new tires right now too, but am having a hard time finding where to get them, or if i can go with another brand.

Did anyone here successfully replace their rims? And to which ones, and did it help?

I am not sure if I can just keep the 20" and not use run flats, but i feel like the rims on that car are seriously badly designed and no tire will save them.

Old 08-19-2023, 11:44 AM
Default I’ve found my tribe!

On my second crack rim (front left, rear right was cracked as well. I thought it was just a me issue

Old 09-19-2023, 09:43 PM
Default Mercedes Rim Cracking and Bending Problem

The rims are cracking because they are not strong enough to handle the weight of the car and the dynamic loads that the wheels are subjected to during normal driving conditions. They are low quality cast aluminum rims and they are weak. This is why they fail over and over by cracking and bending. I am about ready to sue Mercedes at this point for this. Their refusal to address this issue is totally unacceptable.

When a rim cracks and the tire loses air, you have to run the car on the run flat tire, which means that you need to either replace or fix the rim and definitely replace the run flat tire. When a rim bends, it results in uneven tire ware that can shorten the life of a tire to 10,000 miles or less. This can get very expensive very fast. I have paid thousands of dollars already fixing and replacing front wheels and tires on my 2018 E43 because of this problem. I never had a problem like this with another car. Never had to worry about a rim cracking with another car. This 2018 E43 is a total disaster in regards to front rims bending and cracking.

I am about to sue Mercedes at this point in federal court because their conduct is beyond unacceptable. Their cars are sold with wheels that cannot properly support the car’s weight and dynamic loads during normal driving conditions, and instead of owning the problem and standing behind their brand, they shift instead the blame to the driver, to potholes, etc. and pretend that the problem does not exist and on top of that, they make millions of dollars by selling new bad cast alloy rims to their victims at $1200 to $1500 each!!!! Horrible conduct.

Old 09-24-2023, 02:43 PM
Default Multiple cracked rims

We have a 2019 CLS53 AMG... since owning we have replaced 3 wheels (2 twice) and multiple tires (run flats).. same issue. No hard hits, no pot holes, etc... anyone heard anything about recalls or any positive results from Mercedes yet?? Ty... so much $$$$$$$$🤬

Old 12-02-2023, 02:24 PM
Default Tire 14… rim 12

Anything ever come from this?? I have a 2019 cls450. Purchased Nov 2021. By April 2022 I had 2 or 3 cracked rims and needed like 3 or 4 tires. They talked me into the tire package (thankfully). Now, a year and a half later, I’m replacing tire #14 and rim #12. This is insane. I barely drive the car! I work from home and go to the same 3 or 4 places - all less than 5 miles from my house. I know where every pothole, dip, crack etc is and I drive so slow because I don’t wanna end up with yet another flat tire.

the closest Mercedes is an hour from me so I have to have it towed there. Then they have to order the tire. Then the rim if it needs it. It usually sits at Mercedes for a week minimum. I am beyond frustrated. I want to get rid of it but I don’t feel right selling it to anyone! It’s a beautiful car but this is not worth it.

Quick Reply: Multiple Flat Tires & cracked rims!!!