General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

lowering AIRmatic vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 08:41 PM
Default lowering AIRmatic vehicles

now i have seen alot of posts on the web and have had a few people ask me how to lower a vehicle with air suspension-you can of course purchase the renntech control unit for 1200 bucks or whatever it is but you can also do it with a few mods to the vehicle-i am a mercedes benz tech and today i was slow at work so i performed a simulation on my SDS and a few thoughts is that first of all you or someone you know needs to have access to an SDS-you access the airmatic control unit and manually change the calibration levels-these levels are input values from Romess which is an electronic inclination sensor-after those values are saved to the control unit then the front and rear axle level sensors require a voltage of approx. 2.3 volts which oscilates depending on height of axles-if this is out of specifications then all sorts of things will happen with the air suspension-in order to correct this issue you can shorten the rod lengths on all the level sensors which are located on the front and rear lower control arms-the front axles have one on each lower control arm and the rear only has one if i remember correctly-shorten these rods so the voltages come within the specified values-hope this is helpful to people who wanted to know
**WARNING**-altering vehicle ride height can cause dramatic change to vehicle handling-definately recomend alignment after performing something like this since camber and caster will definately change-also i do not recomend this i mean cmon its a Mercedes-Benz these cars are engineered to damn near perfection-just wanted people to know that this can be done with some tuning and thinking since i have seen alot of people complain about technicians and dealers not knowing how to do this sort of thing, beleive me we know alot more then people give us credit for we just dont expose it