General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Light Bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2005, 05:14 AM
Default Light Bulbs

Hey guys i had a question, i have a 87 mercedes 300 DT and i want to change the lights on the car. The regular bulbs come with a 45/65 wattage but i want them to be more white so i want to go with a 90/100 wattage. Do you think these bulbs will do damage to my wiring or to my car? Is it advisable to do it?? and also what kind of tires work best with mercedes performance and comfort wise??

Thanks alot for your help it is much appreciated

These are the bulbs i want to purchase:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MERCE...spagenameZWDVW

Old 10-24-2005, 02:42 AM
Default RE: Light Bulbs

I wouldnt change them. Iv heard of putting wrong brake light bulbs in the newer benz and then the car not starting. Benzs tend to use grounds through the lighting system for different components.

Old 10-24-2005, 11:43 PM

I agree, I tried a pair of Hologen bulbs for the stop lights, and one hot summer day this year I was stuck in traffic and my foot on the brake, both bulbs melted and left dimples in the taillight stop light lens. So I went back to the stock bulbs. As far as headlights, if you want a bright white light go with the Sylvania Silver star bulbs, at the OEM wattage, they really are brighter and whiter. Putting in 100 watts bulbs will probably fry your wires. You would have to run heavier guage wires from the coneector to a in line fuse and the splice the other end of the fuse to the stock wires and doing this you still won't get a true 100 watts. Also stay away from LED on the stop lights, the only way they will work is wiring them to the third brake light with in my car is LED'S. I tried to do this but, couldn't get the wiring set up correct. Try cleaning your taillights and headlights with McGuires clear plastic lens cleaner a couple of times a year, this makes a big differnce. I find it ironic people will wash and polish/wax their cars and never clear the plastic lens colors. then they wonder why they can't see at night. There are a lot of newer cars out there with yellow headlights, from not using a good lens polish on them. I just opened the Ebay address, DON'T BUY ANY OF THESE, most are cheap knock off of JDM bulbs. In Japan and most other countries 100 headlights bulbs are legal, except of course in the USA.

Old 10-26-2005, 02:09 PM

The 100w lamps will work OK but your lamp will light up on dash saying faulty lamp or lamp failure.