General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Just got in an accident

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 08:44 PM
Default Just got in an accident

Happened an hour ago...

I was stopped during a stop and go traffic on a major highway, leftmost lane. Some idiot braked too late/too light and rear ended me with a Ford Taurus. I was behind a SUV, had my brakes locked and even saw him coming in my rear view mirror. It wasn't a major hit, didn't cause any dents, but the bumper has two gauges from his front license plate holder. I got his info, and went on my way....

....during whole ride home, I heard some creaking and squeaking when going over bumps and even when starting off a green light. Noises I definitely didn't notice prior to today.

Any suggestions on what I should do? Go through insurance? Have a mechanic take a look for a few bucks? Anyone have the same problem?

It's a 2003 C320 4matic. Good thing no one got hurt, but GOD damn it, I JUST got it last week.

Old 08-24-2005, 09:23 PM
Administrator
Default RE: Just got in an accident

so who was found to be at fault?

Old 08-24-2005, 09:45 PM

You need to get it looked at. Modern bumpers become ineffective after they've been hit. You don't always realize how hard a hit was because the bumpers can absorb a lot of energy. They're a plastic outer shell filled with a styrofoam-like stuff that collapses to absorb energy from collisions. After the foam collapses it loses its energy absorbing properties for the next collision. The plastic outer cover usually pops back into shape, so it looks like it's okay. They usually can take only a single bang before they need to be replaced.

As far as the best route to take care of it, I dunno. If it were me, I would go through my insurance company. I know they would take care of everything, including contacting the other driver's insurance company to cover repairs.

Old 08-24-2005, 10:34 PM
Super Moderator

no major damage and no one is hurt... i can live with that.

Old 08-24-2005, 11:17 PM

Mass is "no-fault." They just let the insurance companies handle it.

True that there was no one hurt, no major damage, but it's now creaking and squeaking, and is giving me some bad vibes now.

It's just a crappy situation.

Old 08-25-2005, 03:45 AM

ORIGINAL: Lugnut
You need to get it looked at. Modern bumpers become ineffective after they've been hit. You don't always realize how hard a hit was because the bumpers can absorb a lot of energy. They're a plastic outer shell filled with a styrofoam-like stuff that collapses to absorb energy from collisions. After the foam collapses it loses its energy absorbing properties for the next collision. The plastic outer cover usually pops back into shape, so it looks like it's okay. They usually can take only a single bang before they need to be replaced.
I agree with this 100% !

Most people "think" that because they can't "see" anything wrong that there must not be anything wrong. You will never know the extent of the damage until you start pulling it apart.

I would contact your insurance company and get them moving on it ASAP. That way they can get it sorted out for you.