General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Intermitten A/C

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 06:42 PM
Default Intermitten A/C

I have a 1999 C280. My A/C is very finicky. This is what happens.

In order for my AC compressor to turn on, the AC had to have been turned on before I turned the car off. When I then restart the car with the AC on from previously, the Compressor will kick on and start blowing cold air.

If I turn the AC to MAX, the AC Compressor will shut off usually after about 60 seconds to 3 min.

If I only turn the AC to about half and turn the "recycle switch" on, it will last anywhere from 30 min to all day. But even sometimes it will still turn off after a few minutes.

If the AC compressor is working/running while driving the car, and then I turn the AC off while driving and then try to turn it back on, the compressor never starts again.

When the Compressor stops, I have to stop the car, turn the car off for 20 seconds and restart the car and then it kicks on again and cools.

It seems that if I start the car and immediately put into drive and take off, the compressor either does not turn on or it does for only 30 seconds.

The system is charged and no leaks. I have no idea. I did not know if it just needs a new KILMA relay and can not locate it on this model.

Any ideas?

David