General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

instrument cluster swap??

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 12:46 AM
Default instrument cluster swap??

hi,i have a 1995 c280 that i just purchased.i really like the car but of course it has a few problems:first,the cluster worked when i test drove it but now is dead!i took it apart(i have alot of electro-mechanical exp)someone tryed repairing it very very poorly.anyhow,what can i pull another one out of (from what year to what yeaR AND MODELS??)???
now for the other problems:heater fan works most times but...power locks are the same way but work even less...oh,cant forget to mention the the auto trans seems to slip a bit in first,but only when starting from a dead stop!any anll info would be fantastic!!!im sure im forgetting something but then again it is mercedes!
thanks

Old 04-10-2006, 01:27 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: instrument cluster swap??

the instrument cluster is only replaceable as an assembly but you may get reconditioned parts also. if you need the right part number, you have to tell me your VIN.

heater fan works most times but...power locks are the same way but work even less
intermittent problem means it's just something loosely connected. on this one, further chacking is needed and i cannot pinpoint now the problem source.

does it happen to the transmission hot or cold the same way?

Old 04-10-2006, 09:44 AM

it actually slips even less when cold & only at a dead stop.if i come to a rolling stop but dont stop all together it doesnt slip.all other gears are fine.as for the cluster,i want to replace the hole thing.the only thing working on it now is the lights,nothing else,not even the digital stuff.as for the intermitent items,checked all connections still the same way.could it possibily be a grounding issue to these items.i forgot to mention that i cannot lock the doors from the driver door nor the trunk like i am supposed to.they do nothing.they will lock manually though with no problems.oh,yeah no my sun roof is acting up,i think it is off track.one last thing,are these known for front end issues.the reason i ask is i ony had this car 2 weeks,the front end shimmys bad when at(im guessing)about 45 to 60 miles and hour and gets worse the faster i go,but weirdly comes and goes at those speeds.i dont know exactly how fast beacause of the cluster being dead.i was told by 2 mechanics that it could need the tires rebalanced.i am going to try that today,if i can.the guy i got the car off of said about it having bad a arm bushings but i had them checked and seem to be fine.
well,any way you can help will be great!!
here is the vin: WDBHA28E6SF134327 1995 c280.

Old 04-11-2006, 12:33 AM
Super Moderator

you can only use the instrument cluster with part number:

A 202 540 57 11.

others cannot be use since they must be coded with your car. they won't function normally if not done.

Old 04-11-2006, 12:34 AM
Super Moderator

your car anyway is C36 AMG.

a nice one.

Old 04-15-2006, 09:09 PM

hmmmm.you mention its a nice one,is it something special??
i paid $2000.000us for it,the guy needed the money.
i really enjoy the car,now if i can get rid of the little problems.....that would be great!
do you know of any other known problems i should keep a lookout for??
thanks again for all of the info.
oh,any more help with the trans issue??

Old 04-17-2006, 08:23 PM

ok,now i anm getting a little upset with this car.the slip isnt as bad now but now i dont have reverse!!i went threw all of the automatic gears,and no reverse and also no second!!what the heck is going on????
any help would make me feel so much better.
did i buy a lemon here?
thanks
bob

Old 04-17-2006, 11:01 PM
Super Moderator

maybe the transmission oil level is too low?

Old 04-21-2006, 08:06 PM

it is just getting worse!the trans is now doa!i was going to work the other day and the car jerks to a stop along with some clanking sounds.........no gears,not slipping,just not moving literally!it wont even coast,unless it is backwards,even in neutral.in forward it is like the e brake is on.i had to disconnect the drive shaft just to tow it home.
well i ges i am on a hunt for a trans....i know were there is a 97 c280 trans(i think a 5 spd auto)will that work in my car?is there anything else that could have gotten damaged or will need replaced??well,so much for getting a good deal on the car!
any info would hhelp alot.