General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

injection pump tuning

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 08:57 AM
Default RE: injection pump tuning

trust me, i would have put the probe infront of the turbo if i could have, but there was no room. plus, i would have to pull the turbo off so metal shards wouldnt be sent thru it. so i went with post turbo. its better than nothing. my mb does not have an intercooler. i've been thinking about installing one, but now that ive looked at it, there isnt much room for one. the exhaust dump is blowing out behind the wheel, not on it. its as close to the down pipe as i could get it. i have never had my injectors tested. i sent some injector cleaner thru the fuel hopin to make em a lil better. the engines got 120k miles on it, but the body's got 230k. so th injectors could be either or. im considering a k&n air filter. but ive got the boost, ive got the exhaust. all i need is the fuel.. what exactly is the ADLA, and is it easy to tune/remove?

Old 03-05-2007, 01:07 PM

You do not have to worry about "shards" (chips?) getting in the turbo (turbine side) when drilling for a probe....simply fill the drills flutes with grease when drilling, same with the tap, I do it everytime.

ON ALDA ADJUSTING>>>READ THIS THREAD! :
http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforum/showthread.php?p=431887

Injector cleaner is good, I like Lucas, but does not do much for a real thorough cleaning and certainly will not do anything regarding the pop of injectors. Pop/spray pattern tests are cheap and will make a difference. Remember pop is the release of fuel and does effect timing.

On the adla,
Automatic load pressure Anreicherun Automatische LadeDruck Anreicherun (Automatic load pressure Anreicherun).[/align][/align]Basically the ALDA balances out fuel/air to reduce black smoke (unburned fuel) when the throttle is stomped. It delays the fuel rack from moving too much before boost can be attained. This does slow "off the line" down, its all about balance, a bit of smoke for some quicker response is the whole thing.....too much fuel before boost = higher egt's, But you have the gauges so its no big deal. I would try adjusting the ALDA before removing it.....better for engine life.Cummins does it with a AFC, it senses atmosphereric pressure vs fuel mix. Without it you have a freight train! In high altitudes (5000'+)my RV SMOKES bigtime when stomped. Newer diesels and theirelectronic controls compensate for altitude and its pressure changes.

On the idea of K&N filters. This has been debated like crazy on ALL diesel discussions. FWIW I would NEVER put one on a turbo-charged engine! Why? Cause they are an oiled filter and you do not want to run atomized oil into the compressors vanes....let alone an after cooler! Get youself a DRY high CFM filter. Also wet filters will attract dust and the turbo has the vacuum to pull holes through the media giving way to lots of dirt to pass through. Get the sticker and nobody will know different.

Michael

Old 03-05-2007, 07:10 PM

awsome. thanx. i do have the K&N sticker on the filter cover, so thats taken care of. i put in an order for a dry element filter. and i do know about the grease on the drill bit trick, but when i put it in, i guess i was just feeling a little lazy.. ill end up reinstalling the probe pre-turbo sooner or later. thanks for your help michael.

Old 03-05-2007, 07:42 PM

just one more question.. where is the ADLA located on a 83' 300D turbo? is it the square thing directly on top of the injection pump with a hose going into it from the intake? the hose comes out of the intake, then goes to something mounted on the firewall which i believe to be some type of blow off valve, then a hose comes out of that, and goes to the square thing.. if thats not the adla, where is it? please tell me you know..lol

Old 03-09-2007, 12:06 AM

alright.. nobodys replying, so i guess ill jus go ahead an pull off chit till i see the exhaust turn black. wish me luck...

Old 03-09-2007, 10:21 AM

Sorry, but I sold that car many years ago. Can't quite remember exactly where the ADLA was located relative to the pump. I seem to recall that it was located on top and it does have a "Tamper Proof" plug above the adjustment screw that you basically have to destroy to access the adjustment. Maybe someone out there can post a photo. I would recognize it in an instant.
Ron Y

Old 03-10-2007, 12:04 AM

here i grabbed a couple pics for ya..Name:  IM000662.jpg
Views: 863
Size:  79.0 KB

Old 03-10-2007, 12:06 AM

Name:  IM000663.jpg
Views: 932
Size:  51.4 KB

Old 03-10-2007, 12:08 AM

thats it right?

Old 03-10-2007, 11:37 PM

ON ALDA ADJUSTING>>>READ THIS THREAD! :
http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforum/showthread.php?p=431887

Is this pic helpful? It has an arrow pointing to the ALDA. Is this one different...year/model??

Quick Reply: injection pump tuning