General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Ignition Control Module bad?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 07:24 PM
Default Ignition Control Module bad?

I had enough suggestions to this being the problem, i wont know if it is the solution until the part comes in the mail, but i went ahead and ordered the ignition control module to try it out and it if its the problem

SO, my 89' 190e starts fine, runs fine until it gets up to normal running temperature, then starts cutting off. when cut off, batery stays on.. so the battery is not drained as would be if it were an alternator problem. AND, the car will not start again until cooled off.

I've already orderd the ignition control module to see if it fixes the problem, but until it actually gets here, i'm curious of everyone elses opinion to whether you think this is what is causing the problem

Give me your opinions, shoot.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:48 PM

you probably already got these suggestions.....coolant temp sensor and crank position sensor

Old 09-25-2010, 07:13 PM

As I have the same identical problem -
I'd like to know if this problem was fixed with the ignition module or ??
This fellow didn't leave an email address.

Old 09-26-2010, 09:01 AM

Probably the crank position sensor fixed it.

Old 10-02-2010, 06:13 PM

i figured out what the original problem was, which was a bad spark plug wire that i overlooked. but now i have a new problem, the car is almost doing the same thing now, but it only happens when the car sits for a day. if i drive everyday the car runs well, aside from dying occasionally. but when the car does sit for a day, the next time i drive itll start up fine.. die after 15 min or so, then after sitting for three hours or so itll start back up and run fine until it sits a day again. any ideas on this?

replaced ignition control module, ignition coil, battery, fuel filter, spark plugs, spark plug wires.. now what?

Old 10-02-2010, 11:39 PM

Replied above. Exact same symptoms. I was told to change the Crankshaft Position Sensor.

Sounds like your engine is worse with the new ignition module. Where did you get it? Cost? PN?
or PM me with details.

I'm thinking the newer CrankSensor and ignition modules are different from the old ones
and matched...i.e. you new a new matching CPS and I need a new matching ignition module.

Last edited by PaulBennett; 10-02-2010 at 11:58 PM.
Old 10-03-2010, 03:52 PM
Default Last leg exhausted and confused

ON MY 1991 300 E 12500 MILES ,AS I LISTED ,IF I LET THE CAR SIT OVER A DAY WITHOUT DRIVING IT ,IT WILL CUT OFF AFTER ABOUT A MILE OR TWO AND WON'T START BACK UNTILL I LET IT SET FOR A COUPLE OF HOURS THEN IT RUNS FINE IF I DRIVE IT EVERY DAY ,BUT IF I MISS A DAY IT WILL DO THE SAME THING,,I TUNED IT UP,FUEL FILTER ,CRANK SHAFT POSITION SENSOR,BATTERY,AND IT HAS GOOD FUEL PRESSURE..EVEN THOUGH IT RUNS FINE IF ITS DRIVEN EVERY DAY ,I CAN'T COUNT ON LETTING MY WIFE DRIVE IT AS IT MIGHT QUIT ANY TIME..SO HAS ANY ONE BEEN HERE AND FOUND THE PROBLEM.,I WAS THINKING ABOUT SELLING IT BUT I DON'T WANT TO SELL A LEMON ..OTHER THAN THIS IT IS IN GREAT SHAPE JUST SPENT $2000 TO GET THE TRANS. REBUILT ..""HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-04-2010, 06:55 PM

DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW HARD IT IS TO READ AN ALL CAPS MESSAGE? Mayaswellmakeitarunonsentancewhileyouareatit.