General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

How do you ask the dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 01:25 PM
Default How do you ask the dealer?

How would you ask the dealership to let you observe while they are servicing your car?

I know that they always give you the BS, "Because of insurance policies, customers are not allowed in the service area."

As far as I can remember, I've never let any service station or dealership work on my car without my direct observation. Though this is a smart thing to do, from time to time, it creates a friction. How would you avoid friction?

My car has almost 90,000 miles now, and needs the major B service. I want to do it at the Benz dealership. I want to observe NOT because I want to learn and open up a shop, BUT because I want to make sure they do what they claim to do and that they do it well.

(Do they replace plugs and belts on 90k service?)

Old 12-29-2005, 01:43 PM
Default RE: How do you ask the dealer?

I feel your pain! Seriously though, I know what you mean. If they’d let me, I'd be peering over their shoulder, watching everything they do I'd like to watch to see how to do it myself; as well as to see that a thorough job is done.
Next week I'm going in for my 90K mi.service with 84K mi. on the odometer.
BTW, I don't know if a dealer mechanic will change out your A/T fluid unless you ask them too. MB claims it is a sealed system, good for life. Never the less, lots of independent mechanics that work on MB recommend changing the fluid. I think the rear differential oil is also a sealed system that my mech automatically changes at 90K mi.

May I ask, what will you be paying for this service at the dealership?

Old 12-29-2005, 01:58 PM

$650 Service Rep said. Dunno what's included in details. He didn't tell as I played dumb and acted like not interested in Service B.

Old 12-29-2005, 02:51 PM

If you can't trust your dealer, then who can you trust? Seriously, most won't let customers into work areas, as it is an insurance issue. My agent told me this is a fact. Also, and think about this, someone watching someone else work, is a distraction, as least to me it would be?

Old 12-29-2005, 03:53 PM

I called the dealer where I purchased my car and they said btwn, $500-$700. (This doesn't include A/T fluid or differenatial oil change, but yea, your plugs, all 12 of them, get replaced) I don't know what my own mechanic will charge, but in the past his prices have been well below dealer prices and he's very good (An old German expatriate who's worked on MB his whole life-knows everthing about 'em-well, impresses the heck out of me anyway)

Old 12-29-2005, 04:19 PM

I grew up in a family where your work can stand scrutiny. May be this is not a widely-accepted value anymore in this society. May be, mking excuses and exceptions are "in".

Even at work nowadays, I always advertise that anybody can watch me work, anybody can make a recording of what I say, and that my work and my statement will stand peer evaluation.

I make sure when someone is around, the pencil sharpener won't fall onto their foot.

I could choose to say, "if you come close to me to watch what I do, pencil sharpener would could fall onto your foot and my insurance company will not like that." But, what would that make me?

I am sick and tired of the fact that...it happens all the time where a mechanic or a dealership
[ul][*] does not follow torque specs[*] forcefully pushes or pulls things[*] rounds off bolt or nut heads[*] fixes one thing and breaks many things intentionally or accidentally[*] skips porcedures (like - not putting anti-seize where needed)[*] general slopiness (like - touching upholstry with greasy hands)[*] is not capable of putting things back the way they were[*] does not really care about safety and longevity of the vehicle[*] ...here comes the best part, lies (like - w/o changing axle grease and told you they did)
[/ul]

I AM SIMPLY TRYING TO AVOID THESE THINGS IN THE LIST. THAT'S ALL.

Old 12-29-2005, 05:51 PM

While I was working as an aprentice at a dealer I saw a guy watching me work on his car from a distance. When I noticed him I started a conversation about his car. He then stood close me. I understood why he did what he did because I'm the same way. When I take my car to get new tires I watch the guy from a distance.

Old 12-29-2005, 06:36 PM

I take both my 99 C280 and now the 79 450SLC to a private shop, as yours the owner has over 25 years of dealership experience and training on Mercedes and BMW's. I had a bimmer before the benz, this is how I found out about the shop. His labor rate ois $50 per hour compared to $95 at the dealer. I had a B service done, but no spark plugs changed and the bill was $395.00 as I remember.

A month or two ago I had the front tie rod rack replaced, new brake disc all round new pads, 4 wheel alignment and the bill was just $975. I priced the same jobs at the local mercedes dealer, $1500 plus or minus as they always say.

Old 12-29-2005, 08:40 PM

With the info in your third post in your head and ready to roll off your tongue, ask the service advisor where a safe place is to stand so that you can observe what's being done to your car. Be nice but insist on observing. It's not an unreasonable request.

You're not the only one who feels this way. I've noticed many shops now have viewing areas into the work areas. The insurance issue prevents you from being in the middle of things and getting in the way. If you merely observe from a safe location there's no insurance issue, IMO. Alas, if they do allow you to observe, you may not be close enough to determine whether they are doing all things you believe they should be doing anyway. Such is life.

Old 12-29-2005, 10:52 PM

Such is life! Indeed.

I am still very uneasy to just shut my eyes and mind....and let some $10/hr hobo at the dealership work on my car.

If I open up a shop that lets people ask questions and observe closely, do you think that will fly?

Quick Reply: How do you ask the dealer?