General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Hose disintegrating on my '97 E420

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 01:39 AM
Default Hose disintegrating on my '97 E420

I went out to change my oil tonight and when I got under my car I noticed quite a bit of some kind of fluid (apparently oil) had been dripping it's way to the under side of the engine/tranny. There's no spot in the driveway, but quite a bit of nasty sludge on the engine. I took the plastic cover off the top of the engine and saw that it was definitely coming from the passenger side. Near the very back of what I assume is the valve cover on the passenger side of the engine there is a black hose that appears to go into the valve cover (I can't really see for sure where it goes). This hose is cracked apart and soaked in oil, when I tried to move it with my fingers it just came apart even more, of course. The hose winds it's way up under the plastic cover (when the cover is on) and is just open on the end up there.

So, I obviously need to replace this part. I'm wondering if it's safe to drive the car in this condition or if it will spew a ton more oil all over. Also curious what in the world this hose that's coming apart is for and how likely it is that my local dealership will have a replacement in stock.

Thanks!

Old 08-17-2010, 12:45 PM

I believe that is part of the crankcase ventilation system. I wouldn't worry about it - drive it, go to the dealer, buy a new hose, and while there, have the parts guy show you the diagram as to where it connects on the other end. You should be able to replace this yourself.
But do it soon, or you will have an oily engine dripping oil

Old 09-21-2010, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by I GOT A BUSKITT
I went out to change my oil tonight and when I got under my car I noticed quite a bit of some kind of fluid (apparently oil) had been dripping it's way to the under side of the engine/tranny. There's no spot in the driveway, but quite a bit of nasty sludge on the engine. I took the plastic cover off the top of the engine and saw that it was definitely coming from the passenger side. Near the very back of what I assume is the valve cover on the passenger side of the engine there is a black hose that appears to go into the valve cover (I can't really see for sure where it goes). This hose is cracked apart and soaked in oil, when I tried to move it with my fingers it just came apart even more, of course. The hose winds it's way up under the plastic cover (when the cover is on) and is just open on the end up there.

So, I obviously need to replace this part. I'm wondering if it's safe to drive the car in this condition or if it will spew a ton more oil all over. Also curious what in the world this hose that's coming apart is for and how likely it is that my local dealership will have a replacement in stock.

Thanks!
Have the same problem on the 97 S420 (140K miles). Did you replace the hose? Do you have the MB part number?

Thanks!

Old 09-21-2010, 07:49 PM

that hose goes from the top of the valve cover to around the throttle body/ air mass sensor. when they break the car usually surges at times.