General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Hi and Qs....long

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 11:52 AM
Default Hi and Qs....long

Hi, I have read most threads here and in the S forum. Looks like we have a wizard in the Philipines!
I just got an 85 500 sel w/ ~120K miles. I have done the usual maint. and have come to 2 issues that I am not able to resolve.
1) The trasmission hums (so quiet that I can only hear it on quiet roads) under load. I think it is the trans because the noise isn't present when I put the trans in N. The noise is similar to a rear diff. hum but much much quieter (or a noisy tire noise). Do the transmissions in these cars make noise or are they supposed to be absolutely quiet? When I changed the fluids, I found no particles in the pan or filter and the fluid was of a nice color w/ no burnt smell. The shifts are smooth both while driving and shifting from N to gear.
2) I did a front end alignment and tire balance but I still have a vibe thru the steering wheel and floor of the car. The shimmy starts around 60 mph and goes away at over 80 mph) I think I am dealing w/ 2 seperate issues, the steering wheel shimmy changes w/ a rotation of wheels...may be out of round wheels. The vibes I feel are felt when accelerating hard at around 40 mph, it is felt thru the floor boards and I am thinking it may be motor mounts.

I have ordered new motor mounts (motor idles smooth and remains so when I rev it while stationary and I had no issues w/ oil filter removal) and idler arm bushings. I took the steering damper off and it has good resistance in both directions. The tech (MB & BMW only shop) who did the alignment checked the ball joints and other suspension parts (I don't know how) and gave them the OK. The flex discs look good but I have no way of 'testing' them.

I have a list of driveshaft support bearings, trans mount, diff. mount, flex discs and rear subframe mount as possible items that may need replacement. How are these parts tested or measured? I really don't want to replace items that do not need replacement. Will the replacement of subframe bushings throw the alignment off?

Sorry for so many Qs but I have just been bitten by the MB bug and am enjoying playing w/ it!