Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums

Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/general-tech-5/)
-   -   Help! My intermittent start failures (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/general-tech-5/help-my-intermittent-start-failures-2341/)

sleepwalker 09-03-2004 08:50 PM

RE: Help! My intermittent start failures

they have the same thing too, but the only problem was that they want to skip the testing and try the trial and error way.

i must admit that i have encountered several similar cases, but without my presence the process might take longer.

the solution i have in mind were:

initialize, synchronize, coding.

wrong or old (not modified) engine control unit installed... (check the part number).

weak transponder ( the sensor around the ignition switch). this depends on how that flashing light behaves, and which key you use, and the actual values from the signals.

how i wish i am there to solve it in just a day... i just can't give premature answer now without confirming anything.

cheers.

thegirlilove 09-03-2004 10:42 PM

Just wondering,

If I were to instruct the MB Dealer to erase the current software in the ECU and re-program all over again, will it make a difference?

They mentioned if they are able to do this, they would require my old ECU to extract "some data" from it in order to perform this operation.

Do you think this makes sense?

sleepwalker 09-04-2004 03:42 AM

they will read the memory from the old ECU, store it in the HHT or Star Diagnosis computer (all the time attached to the car with power, or else it will lose the data), then transfer it to the new ECU. this is the basic procedure, but this not the only thing that we can do with it. check the coding, versions, standard equipments, actual values, analyze faults, actuations, initializations, programming, troubleshooting, etc, etc.

ECU from other cars cannot be used on your car, since it was already interlocked with your car... even the chassis number is written on memory to avoid theft.

the problem could be on the newly installed ECU software version, the person who did it, or the hardware itself.

i would still say it was the service person who did it. he did it right, he did it wrong... only him can tell.

wrong diagnosis also contributes to this.

thegirlilove 09-05-2004 11:45 AM

Thank you for you reply Sleepwalker,

ORIGINAL: sleepwalker

the problem could be on the newly installed ECU software version, the person who did it, or the hardware itself.

i would still say it was the service person who did it. he did it right, he did it wrong... only him can tell.

wrong diagnosis also contributes to this.
That is what I am suspecting; after repetitive approaches to see this service person (Not an authorised MB Dealer Workshop) responsible for the installation of the new ECU, he finally showed me what came out on his diagnosis screen: picture is below

[IMG]local://upfiles/3076/F223255BDF1F4C6CAFF8737DC033ABEA.jpg[/IMG]

thegirlilove 09-06-2004 12:32 AM

Are the results in the attachment posted above symptoms of wrong diagnosis?

sleepwalker 09-06-2004 01:09 AM

the diagnosis says that there is a problem with the Controller's Area Network.

the same reason why i suggest to pay more attention on CAN signal, voltage, continuity, resistance and other factors that may interrupt the reading.

it can be just a minor problem which has been overseen.

the best way i do when testing the CAN is to disconnect the other consumers which may affect the signal. once it works right... bingo! this all depends on the person doing it, the extent of the style he might use on a certain problem.

thegirlilove 09-07-2004 01:44 AM

Thanks for the reply Sleepwalker,

I will give you an update on 14th September 2004, right after the MB Dealer reprogram my existing ECU.

Till then, wish me luck!

sleepwalker 09-07-2004 02:02 AM

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

good luck.

thegirlilove 09-16-2004 11:31 PM

Hey Sleepwalker,

Just got my car back from the dealer. Here are some findings they concluded:

They tested my old ECU and confirmed that it was faulty and was misfiring.

They concluded that the new existing is working perfectly and commented that the other unofficial workshop has done a good job.

They presented to me readings result print out from both ECUs; even with some numerical readings stating the voltage transfer rate from the ECU to some particular part in the car (which I can’t make out).

BUT I have noticed that there was a highlighted fault in the “BODY” criteria from the print out from the Star Diagnosis Computer but I could not remember the details.

The technician concluded that the culprit that cause the infrared lights to flash and failure to start is the failure of the transfer signal from the IFZ Control Unit. They mentioned that it could be faulty. They also mentioned that it may be a coincidence when my old ECU was faulty, this IFZ Control Unit was faulty as well.

What is your comment? If the IFZ Control Unit is faulty, could it affect the infrared lights and ignition start of the car?

Thanks and awaiting.

sleepwalker 09-17-2004 04:13 AM

The technician concluded that the culprit that cause the infrared lights to flash and failure to start is the failure of the transfer signal from the IFZ Control Unit. They mentioned that it could be faulty. They also mentioned that it may be a coincidence when my old ECU was faulty, this IFZ Control Unit was faulty as well.
this is true and i agree with them. it means that they have tested the signal actual value.

since the key is already new, the finger is now pointed to the IFZ control module.

it will affect the way on recieving the the signal (which causes the red and green flashes), and yes, it will surely affect the starting of the car.

anyway, terence mclaughlan is no longer working on any MB dealer here as i found out. just earlier this year, i was with him on Daimler-Chrysler beijing when i was on two months training for trucks. i am also invited to go back to the new MB dealership in wenzhou city, and so is BMW dealership but i am just tired of working hard anymore. i just lie-low for a while.

have a nice day Lai.:)