General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Help! My c280 ELECTRICAL system!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 12:34 PM
Default Help! My c280 ELECTRICAL system!

Hi,
I have a serious problem with my 94' Mercedes C280. About a couple of days ago, my power door locks function seems to be working fine. Whenever to open the driver's door with my key, all the doors open and when I lock the driver's door with the key, all the doors seem to to lock. Within the car, my power door locks seems to be working when I pushed the button on the consoleto active the locking and unlocking methods. Just a day ago, my power door lockswas acting up, for some reason it seems to stop working completely, when I turn the key to open the driver's door, only the driver sided opened?Usually, ALL the doors unlock when I open my driver door with the key. At first I thought my mind was playing tricks on me because I never came across this type of problem, so then I tested opening the door locks from inside the car with the button on the console, after a few trys it didn't seem to be working either, neither opening the door locks from the inside by pressing on the button located on the console or using the key for the outside was working.Then, I had an idea lock and unlock the trunk, when I locked the trunkonly the trunk locked?Usually openingand locking the trunk with the key was like opening and locking the doors for my car[:@]The worst part is that, WITHOUT the power locking system working, my gas lid would not OPEN!!!, due to the fact that the gas lid lock is linked to the power locking system which is connected with the power door locks, which isn't functioning!How am I going to pump gas??? Is there a way to open the gas lid manually?ARRGGGHHHH[:'(]Could somebody please tell me what to do? There is nothing wrong with the car, all other power switches work, power windows, sunroof, radio, tire traction control, seat warmers, power mirrors, automatic folding rear holdrest, defroster and etc.everything elseworks expect the POWER DOOR LOCKS and worsttheGAS LID LOCK!!! Is this a major electrical problem? Is there something wrong with the computer ECU? Maybe the mechanism is off? Or maybe a blowed fuse? Is this a major problem? How much would it cost at the dealer to fix? Should I take it to a electrial car expert? Could anyone estimate how much this is going to cost me?Any suggestions or Ideas would be helpful, anything. Thankyou in advance.

Old 03-16-2007, 02:53 PM
Default RE: Help! My c280 ELECTRICAL system!

It could be a fuse, a leak* somewhere in the systemor a failed pump.You might want to pull the rear seat. I believe in most Mercedes the pumpis located there. Check the fuse first.

There is a manual release hook inside my trunk behind the fuel door(1989 300E) for exactly this reason. Pull it and the door will spring open. It should be described in your owner's manual as an emergency release.

*If you hear a hissing noise when operating the locks, then you have a leak!

Good luck!

Old 03-16-2007, 09:45 PM

Wow!!! Thanks The Big Dog! There is an emergency release behind my fuel door. Never would of thought of looking for one. I lost my manual while moving awhile back, need to pick up a new one. Thanks again. As long as I can pump my gas, I'm fine. I checked my fuse and nothing seems to be wrong, I'm guessing its the pump, because theres no hissing noise anymore. Thanks for the help!!! Owe you one

Old 03-17-2007, 02:50 AM

Glad to help! I am just passing oninformation that others have done for me too! I too had trouble with my door locks in a 1986190E. Turned out to be a leak at an actuator valve at the fuel door. It made a hissing noise so it was easy to trace and fix. Good luck with your fix!

Old 03-17-2007, 03:58 PM

I have a 2002 S430 with door & trunk closer assist system. The trunk closer air passage split open. I purchased a new assembly & installed it myself. It did not work but the doors did. A friend (has a 1989 S420) & he suggested removing the fuse & replace it. Sometimes the electrical needs to recycle itself. I could not find the fuse so, I unhooked the ground cable from the battery; waited 5 minutes & hooked it up. he trunk closer has worked fine since (3weeks since recycle). Hope this works!